When it comes to vegan desserts, why settle for complex when you can have easy? With just a few basic ingredients and less than five minutes of prep time, you'll be indulging in the ultimate vegan mug cake! Picture an ooey-gooey chocolate dream with a soft and fluffy texture – your taste buds will thank you. Not only is this single-serving vegan mug cake delicious, but its flavor packs a big punch, too, all without any animal products!
Why You'll Love This Vegan Mug Cake Recipe
Delicious- Microwave mug cakes are moist, fluffy, and have the perfect amount of sweetness. You can enjoy them as is or top them with your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or store-bought vegan frosting.
Family-Friendly- This single-serving vegan mug cake is perfect for a quick dessert or snack. It's also great for kids since it's super easy to make and doesn't require any baking.
Quick and Easy- A quick recipe that can be ready to enjoy in less than 5 minutes! All you need to make these tasty treats is a microwave and a few simple ingredients.
Less Clean-Up- When making a vegan mug cake, very little mess or clean-up is required. You can make mug cakes two at a time or as you need them, so there is no need to worry about leftovers.
Decadent- This chocolate mug cake is rich and indulgent while still light and fluffy. It's the perfect chocolate treat for any sweet tooth.
What Is Mug Cake?
Mug cake is a type of single-serve dessert that you can make in just minutes. The recipe typically includes flour, sugar, baking powder, oil, and a liquid such as plant-based milk or water. You mix everything together in a mug, microwave it for a few minutes, and you have a quick and delicious treat!
- Mixing Bowl
- Microwave-Safe Mug or Ramekin
- Measuring Spoons
- Almond Milk- Non-dairy milk adds moisture to the mug cake and helps make it light and fluffy.
- Melted Coconut Oil- Coconut oil adds moisture and richness to the mug cake.
- Vanilla Extract- Enhances the flavor of the mug cake and adds a hint of sweetness.
- Flour- Gives structure to the mug cake and helps it hold its shape.
- Granulated Sugar- To add sweetness to the tasty treat.
- Baking Soda- Helps the cake rise as it bakes.
- Cocoa Powder- Gives the mug cake a hint of chocolate flavor.
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips- For that rich, gooey, and delicious chocolate taste.
How To Make A Homemade Vegan Mug Cake
Making vegan chocolate mug cake is super quick and straightforward! In a mixing bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth. Then, divide the mug cake batter between 2 mugs or ramekins. Sprinkle the vegan chocolate chips on top and microwave for about 45 seconds. Serve and enjoy!
Note: If you don't have a microwave, you can bake these vegan mug cakes the individual mugs or ramekins in the oven.
What to Serve With Vegan Mug Cakes
Easy chocolate mug cakes are delicious on their own, but if you want to take them to a whole new level, here are some ideas:
- Top each cake with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream.
- Serve each mug cake with a dollop of vegan whipped cream and a cherry.
- Drizzle melted peanut butter, vegan-friendly chocolate, or a chocolate sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts like almonds, peanuts, or walnuts.
There are endless possibilities for mug cakes, so feel free to get creative and experiment!
Popular Substitutions & Additions
Here are some common substitutions and additions that you can make to this delicious single-serving cake:
- Add a pinch of salt to the cake batter for a little salty-sweet contrast.
- Replace almond milk with any other type of plant-based milk, such as soy milk, coconut milk, or oat milk.
- Try using a different oil, like avocado oil, vegetable oil, vegan butter, or vegan margarine.
- Substitute the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour blend or almond flour to make the mug cake gluten-free. Whole wheat flour, coconut flour, or oat flour would also make excellent substitutions.
- Use brown sugar, coconut sugar, or maple syrup in place of white sugar.
- Add a teaspoon of instant coffee powder or espresso powder for a rich mocha flavor.
- Before microwaving, stir ¼ cup of vegan chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit into the wet batter.
- Top with vegan whipped cream and fresh fruit like raspberries, strawberries, or bananas.
- Add peanut butter to the batter for a chocolate peanut butter mug cake.
- Leave out the cocoa powder and vegan chocolate chips, then add extra vanilla extract for a delicious vegan vanilla mug cake.
- Frozen raspberries, bananas, or strawberries can be added to the batter for an extra fruity flavor.
How To Store & Reheat Homemade Vegan Mug Cake
You can store any leftover vegan mug cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, microwave for 30-60 seconds or until warmed through. You can also reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes.
Note: The texture of the mug cake will change slightly after being refrigerated and reheated. It will no longer be as light and fluffy but will still be absolutely delicious!
Vegan Mug Cake FAQs
Does leftover mug cake freeze well?
Yes, you can freeze the leftover mug cake for up to 2 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight and reheat before serving.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
As written, no, but this recipe can easily be made gluten-free. Simply substitute the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour blend or almond flour to make a gluten-free version.
Can I make this recipe without a microwave?
Yes, you can bake the mug cake in the oven instead of the microwave. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Do I have to use almond milk for this chocolate mug cake recipe?
No, you can use any type of non-dairy milk you like. Try using soy milk, oat milk, cashew milk, or even water!
Can I make a larger batch of these mug cakes than the recipe calls for?
Yes, this recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, or quadrupled. Multiply the ingredients by the desired amount and mix everything together in a large bowl. Divide the batter between mugs or ramekins and microwave according to the recipe instructions.
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- 6 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp dairy-free chips
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. You can also combine the ingredients (by dividing them in half) in two separate mugs or ramekins.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Top the cake batter with chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 40 seconds. Optionally, you can bake the cake for 18 minutes at 350F.
- Serve and enjoy.
Needs at least 90 seconds in my new 1200 watt micro. Also use REFINED coconut oil because it doesn't taste like coconut then.