This vegan hot chocolate mix is rich, creamy, and only takes four ingredients to create. Ideal for enjoying by a fire and a great DIY holiday gift! This homemade hot cocoa mix will definitely warm you and your family up this winter!
On a winter day, nothing beats a cup of creamy, soothing hot cocoa by the fire. Made with only four ingredients, this hot chocolate mix recipe is a staple drink for cold days and nights. It's dairy-free and 100% vegan!
This is a lovely way to spend time with your partner while you're all nestled up on the sofa with a blanket. Alternatively, a toasty drink for the entire family to enjoy while gathered around the fireplace. You can also give this as a present to friends and family who will be visiting during the holiday season.
Why You’ll Love This Homemade Vegan Hot Chocolate Recipe
This non-dairy hot chocolate mix is the best! It's impossible not to fall in love with. I am completely smitten! The following are some of the reasons why I adore this winter beverage, and I am confident that you will enjoy it for the same reasons that I do.
- Non-Dairy: Lactose intolerant people will be able to enjoy a creamy chocolate drink without dairy thanks to my Vegan Hot Chocolate recipe.
- DIY Holiday Gift: This is an ideal present for your loved ones. Fill your mason jars halfway with this chocolate mixture. Wrap the jar with a festive ribbon and attach a greeting note. Tada, you now have a tasty holiday gift that you made yourself!
- Easy-to-Prepare: The recipe isn’t that complicated. You can make this vegan hot chocolate mix in a blink of the eye! This is an easy-peasy chocolate mix recipe.
Equipment Needed To Make The Best Vegan Hot Chocolate Mix
- Measuring cups
- Stainless sifter
- Large mixing bowl
- Airtight container
Ingredients For Your Homemade hot chocolate mix
- Powdered dry soy, coconut or rice milk
- Powdered sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- Granulated sugar
- Vegan chocolate chips, white, milk or semi-sweet
- Mini vegan marshmallows
- Peppermint extract
How To Make A Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
To make this vegan hot cocoa powder mix, you’ll need a large bowl of sifted powder sugar. You’ll then want to add in all the rest of the ingredients and stir well until all the dry ingredients are combined. Transfer to an airtight jar for long-term storage!
What to Serve/Pair With Your Homemade Vegan Hot Chocolate Mix
It is ideal to serve hot chocolate with a variety of sweet and salty nibbles. Sweet snacks can be used to enhance the sweetness of your beverage. Having salty treats with your hot chocolate beverage creates a delicious contrast. Here are some snacks the pair well with hot cocoa mix.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Rolled Wafers
- Plain Biscuits and Crackers
- Graham Crackers
- Salted Peanuts
Popular Substitutions & Additions
Toppings and Add-ins:
Putting together a hot chocolate bar is excellent for any gathering you have planned for winter. Make your gathering fun and exciting with some of my few suggestions for your Hot Chocolate Toppings Bar.
- White, Dark, and Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate puff cereals
- Pumpkin Spice
- Cinnamon Powder
- Whipped Cream
- Peanut butter
- Crushed Peanuts
- Espresso Powder
- Crushed peppermint candies
- Adults Only: vodka, bourbon, and whiskey
- You can use coconut or cane sugar to replace the granulated sugar.
- Vanilla powder can be used to replace powdered milk.
- You can exclude the powdered milk from the recipe if you like. All you have to do is combine the chocolate mix with a mug of hot plant-based milk.
How To Reheat & Store Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
Best Way To Store Vegan Hot Chocolate Mix
An airtight container is the best method to store your powdered vegan hot cocoa mix. The airtight container will keep moisture out of your chocolate mix, keeping it fresh. Make sure to keep your mix in a cool place.
How Long Will Vegan Hot Chocolate Mix Last?
When stored in an airtight container, the vegan hot chocolate mix will last for three months. Pro Tip: Make sure to label the containers with the date they expire.
How to Reheat Hot Chocolate
If you accidentally left your mug of chocolate drink out in the cold, simply reheat it for 1 minute in the microwave. You may even reheat the vegan chocolate drink in a small pot over a stove if you like.
Vegan Non-dairy Hot Chocolate Mix FAQs
Can I add salt to my hot chocolate drink?
Yes, you can add salt. Salt is useful in balancing out the sweetness of sugar in the mix. It can also improve the flavor of your chocolate beverage. Just add a pinch of salt to your hot chocolate drink.
Can I add coffee powder to my homemade vegan chocolate mix?
Yes, you can add a tease spoon of ground coffee to your mug of chocolate drink.
Which plant-based milk is best for hot chocolate?
Everything comes down to personal taste. Coconut milk, oat milk, and almond milk can produce different flavorful results. You must test all of these and pick which one tastes the best. You can prepare all of the vegan milk and leave it up to your family or visitors to select what to use in their chocolate mix.
Other Sweet Winter Recipes You’ll Love
- MINT COOKIE DOUGH TRUFFLES
- VEGAN PEPPERMINT CREAM PIE WITH CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST
- IRISH CREAM CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- CHRISTMAS CROCK POT CANDY
Don’t Forget To Come Back And Let Me Know How Your Powdered Hot Chocolate Mix Turned Out!
Vegan Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups instant dry soy, coconut, or rice milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup chocolate chips, white, milk or semi-sweet
- Mini marshmallows
- Peppermint extract
- In a large bowl, sift powdered sugar.
- Sift instant dry milk(whichever vegan options you chose) on top of powdered sugar.
- Sift cocoa powder on top.
- Whisk together.
- Whisk in granulated sugar until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container or jar for up to 3 months.
- To make hot cocoa, add ⅓ cup of mix in a mug, stir in 1 cup warm milk, add toppings of your choice.