Introducing vegan crepes- an indulgence that will both satisfy your sweet cravings and make your taste buds happy. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal effort, anyone can make these vegan crepes that look and taste like they came from a high-end bakery! What sets these vegan crepes apart is their unique flavor profile; the tartness of the lemons balances perfectly with the sweetness of blueberries and powdered sugar, resulting in something truly special. It's a delightful combination that is bursting with flavor.
Why You'll Love This Easy Vegan Crepe Recipe
Delicious- The perfect combination of sweet and tart, with just enough sugar to give them a touch of sweetness without being overly sugary.
Simple Ingredients- You don't need any fancy ingredients for these vegan crepes. All you need are some lemons, blueberries, sugar, flour, vanilla extract, and your favorite vegan milk.
Looks Impressive- These vegan crepes look as if a professional pastry chef has crafted them. You'll have everyone at the table oohing and ahhing over this beautiful dish.
Minimal Effort- With the right tools and a bit of practice, you can have these vegan crepes ready to serve in no time. This is an easy recipe that even novice cooks can master quickly.
What Are Crepes?
Crepes are a classic French dish that has been adopted all over the world. They are thin, delicate pancakes made from flour. Crepes can be filled and topped with sweet or savory fillings and rolled or folded into a variety of shapes.
- Mixing Bowl
- Non-Stick Skillet or Crepe Pan
- Wire Cooling Rack
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Flour- Used to help create the batter that will become your crepes.
- Almond Milk- Mixed with the flour to create a smooth, creamy crepe batter.
- Vegan Cane Sugar- Gives the crepes a touch of sweetness.
- Vanilla Extract- To give the crepes a hint of flavor.
- Blueberries- Adds a burst of flavor and color atop the crepes.
- Lemon Slices- Used to garnish the crepes.
- Vegan Powdered Sugar- For dusting, creating classic crepes au sucre.
How To Make Vegan Crepes
In a mixing bowl, combine flour and vegan cane sugar. Slowly whisk in almond milk until a smooth batter has formed before adding a touch of vanilla extract.
Heat a non-stick skillet or crepe pan on medium-high heat and brush lightly with some oil. Depending on the size of your skillet, you will pour between ¼ - ⅓ cups of crepe batter in the skillet. Swirl it around until the bottom of the skillet is covered completely.
Cook the crepe until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip it gently with either a spatula or your hands, and cook the crepe for another 30 seconds. Once cooked, place the crepe on a wire rack to cool.
Repeat the process with the remaining crepe batter, oiling your skillet as needed.
Serve the crepes folded in quarters, topped with lemon slices, fresh blueberries, and dusted with vegan powdered sugar.
How To Serve Easy Vegan Crepes
Vegan crepes are an excellent addition to any breakfast, brunch spread, or dessert tray. Enjoy them with fresh blueberries, lemon slices, vegan powdered sugar, or your favorite toppings. Here are some ideas:
- Enjoy vegan crepes with a sprinkle of coconut flakes for a tropical twist.
- Serve with vegan butter and maple syrup for that extra-indulgent experience.
- Top the crepes with fresh fruit like strawberries and peaches.
- Drizzle them with homemade vegan chocolate sauce for a decadent treat.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
These vegan crepes are a delicious way to start your day! With endless topping possibilities, every batch of crepes can be unique and customized to fit whatever flavors you're craving.
- Substitute vegan cane sugar for other granulated, plant-based sweeteners, such as coconut or date sugar.
- Top with a dollop of vegan whipped cream.
- Add spices of your choice, such as ground cinnamon, cardamom, or nutmeg, for a spiced version of these crepes.
- Use an alternative non-dairy milk like oat milk or soy milk if almond milk is unavailable.
- Add vegan chocolate chips for a delicious touch of sweetness.
- Use freshly squeezed orange or lime juice for a zesty flavor to top your easy vegan crepes.
- Top the crepes with vegan yogurt or maple syrup.
- Mix in some melted vegan butter for a richer, more indulgent crepe.
- Add sliced bananas, strawberries, or other seasonal berries to add more flavor and texture.
Can You Freeze Vegan Crepes?
Yes, you can freeze vegan crepes! After making the crepes, allow them to cool completely before stacking them with parchment paper or wax paper between layers. Then place them in a zip-top bag and store them in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to thaw and enjoy, simply place them on a baking sheet and warm them in the oven at 350 F for about 10 minutes.
Sweet Vegan Crepe FAQs
Do I need to use oil when making vegan crepes?
No. Vegan butter will also work if you don't have any spray oil on hand, but I always recommend to lightly grease your skillet or crepe pan. Adding a light coating of oil or vegan butter to your skillet will help the crepe batter from sticking to the pan and helps the crepes to come out perfectly cooked—not too crisp and not too soggy.
What type of flour is best for this crepe recipe?
I recommend using all-purpose flour for the best results. Whole wheat pastry flour tends to make vegan crepes too thick. You can also use a gluten-free flour blend instead of the all-purpose flour.
Do I need to use baking powder in this vegan crepe recipe?
No, baking powder is not needed for this recipe. The combination of flour and plant-based milk creates enough lift and fluffiness for the crepes without it. However, you can add a pinch of baking powder if desired.
Can I make these sweet vegan crepes ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these vegan crepes up to 2 days in advance. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve.
Do I have to use almond milk?
No. Any plant-based milk will do! Soy milk, oat milk, cashew, or coconut milk are all great options.
Easy Vegan Crepes
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tbsp Vegan cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh blueberries and lemon slices for serving
- Vegan powdered sugar for dusting (for classic crepes au sucre)
- Combine flour and Vegan cane sugar in a bowl.
- Whisk in almond milk until you have a smooth batter. Add vanilla and stir until well combined.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, preferably between 10-11 inches. Brush it gently with some oil.
- Pour around ¼-1/3 cup of the batter on the skillet and swirl it around the skillet so the bottom is completely covered.
- Cook the crepe until bubbles appear on the surface. Lift it and flip it gently. You can do this with a spatula or flip gently with your hands. It is a bit hot but easier to do.
- Cook the crepe for another 30 seconds and place it on a wire rack.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter, oiling your skillet as needed.
- Serve the crepes folded in quarters, with lemon slices, and blueberries, and dusted with Vegan powdered sugar.