Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is so creamy and comforting. Enjoy this dairy free version as is or use in your favorite recipes calling for cream of mushroom!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is made with only 5 ingredients (plus a few staple spices) and it’s easy to make. This is SO much better than the canned version.
This recipe uses simple, staple ingredients making it very budget-friendly. It also reheats well making it a great prep ahead option for the week.
You only need 5 simple ingredients plus some staple spices to make a creamy and comforting vegan cream of mushroom soup. Here’s what you need:
- Dairy-Free Butter - this will be used to create the roux to thicken the soup and to saute the mushrooms.
- All-Purpose Flour - you can substitute chickpea flour if you’d like this recipe to be gluten-free
- Vegetable Broth
- Unsweetened Dairy-Free Milk or Canned Coconut Milk
- Spices - Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
- Sliced Mushrooms - you can use any type of mushrooms, such as white button mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms. I've used both.
Making dairy-free cream of mushroom soup is surprisingly easy.
The key to making this thick and creamy is the roux which is simple to make, I promise! Here are the easy recipe steps:
How to make
- Sauté Mushrooms - Melt 1 tablespoon of the dairy-free butter in a medium-large skillet over medium-high heat. It’s best to use a large skillet to avoid overcrowding the mushrooms which will cause them to steam vs saute properly.
- Once the skillet is hot and the butter is melted, add the sliced mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms for 10-15 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Make the Roux - Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and add the remaining butter.
- Once melted, whisk in the flour until well combined. Be sure to whisk out any lumps. This is what will thicken the soup.
- Finish - Add the vegetable broth and milk (dairy-free or coconut) to the roux and whisk until smooth and combined.
- This will take just 1-2 minutes. Season with the spices and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Stir in the sautéed mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are warmed in the soup.
- Serve or Store - Remove the saucepan from the heat and serve or allow to cool before storing in the fridge.
Can you use this for condensed cream of mushroom soup
Yes, you can use this vegan cream of mushroom soup in a recipe calling for condensed cream of mushroom soup.
However, you should omit the liquid that the recipe calls for. Use the quantity of this finished soup in place of both the condensed soup and water.
For example, if a recipe calls for 1 ½ cups of condensed cream of mushroom soup + 1 cup of water, then you would add 2 ½ cups of this dairy free mushroom soup.
Yes, you can use all canned coconut milk for the milk. The recipe works great with either unsweetened dairy-free milk or canned coconut milk.
If you used dairy-free milk then you can freeze it. If you made the mushroom soup with coconut milk then the soup may get grainy from freezing.
This texture change is because the coconut milk will separate like it does in the can leading to a poor texture.
Yes, you can use cremini mushrooms, baby bellas, button mushrooms, shiitake, and more. You can use any kind of mushroom for this soup recipe. You can either buy them pre-sliced or slice them yourself.
You can use an immersion blender to get a creamy texture in this vegan cream of mushroom. This is a personal preference and up to you on how smooth you like your soup.
For example, when I’m serving this soup with crusty bread then I like the small pieces of mushroom in the soup.
If I'm adding it to certain recipes I may want it to be smooth.
Yes, you can make this soup gluten-free by swapping in chickpea flour for the all-purpose flour.
How to reheat mushroom soup
Leftover dairy-free cream of mushroom soup can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. The soup will stay fresh for up to 5 days, but it will thicken from being stored in the fridge.
To thin out the mushroom soup, you can reheat the soup in a saucepan on the stove and add additional milk to achieve the desired consistency.
I recommend reheating the soup and stirring before adding any more milk. I like to add the milk just 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired thickness and consistency is reached.
More dairy free soup recipes
- You sure don't want to miss this Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup!
- Vegan Corn Chowder is rich and has so much flavor.
- Everyone will enjoy this comforting Baked Potato Soup.
- This Dairy Free Cauliflower Soup will become one of your family's favorites.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon dairy free butter - for sautéing
- 8 ounces mushrooms - sliced
- ½ cup dairy free butter - for roux
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour - for gluten free version use chickpea flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup dairy free milk - or coconut milk from a can
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Melt 1 tablespoon dairy free butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt the remaining ½ cup butter over a medium-low heat.
- Add in flour and whisk together until well combined.
- Add vegetable broth and dairy free milk. Whisk until smooth which will be about 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until it begins to thicken, About 3-5 minutes, If it becomes too thick you can add a little more dairy free milk.
- Add the sautéd mushrooms. Heat through.
- Remove from heat and serve or allow to cool completely if storing.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
will be making this soon i love mushrooms and mushroom soup soooooooooooooooooo much do you have garlic bread recipe on your website if not pl make it i love garlic bread soooooooooooo much perfect for raining days in Singapore and my after office meals will dm you if i make this and let you know how it goes Thanks Ramya
This has so much flavor! And tastes so much better than the canned cream of mushroom I remember from my childhood. Thanks for this easy and delicious recipe!
No one could even tell I served them vegan soup! And they'll never know now! My secret! But this is so good! Thankfully I had some really good crusty vegan bread on hand to serve alongside. So good!
This was perfect for us and my dairy free friend! The button mushrooms worked great.