Vegan Coffee Cake with Apple Cinnamon Streusel has a nice thick layer of fruity streusel topping. Perfect in the morning or as a sweet afternoon snack. Moist coffee cake that’s easy to make.
Coffee cake all started so that you could have a sweet that went perfectly with coffee. It could also be flavored with a bit of coffee. Either way, it has always been a little bit of a heavier cake in texture.
Word has it that coffee cake comes from Germany and has been around since the late 1800’s. That’s over a hundred years so you know it’s got to be a keeper.
Coffee had been popular another hundred years before that. In fact, after the Boston Tea Party of 1773, it was sort of a patriotic duty to drink coffee instead of tea. So, thank you Germany for a delicious addition.
Hopefully, it happens on the weekends!
Over the years the concept has remained the same. The recipes have evolved and this vegan coffee cake fits right in with the most classic.
It even has a little something extra. It’s a thin layer of tiny bits of apple sprinkled in between the batter and streusel and then is baked right in.
You are right! It goes great with coffee too.
Now, you could always have hot tea or iced tea or even some dairy-free milk alongside. It all works.
Why Use Organic Sugar?
Organic Sugar Ensures that the sugar you are using is vegan.
Regular cane sugar is filtered through bone char so that process is out.
You can absolutely use coconut sugar. The same measurements as in the recipe and it is delicious. The color of the cake and streusel will just be a little darker.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Truly, quite often I use coconut sugar in my recipes. I like the flavor a lot. It’s sort of a cross between maple and brown sugar.
But once in a while, I want something different for the blog. A coffee cake like this one is a whiter more traditional cake when using organic cane sugar. Whichever one you use the little bit of time that it took to make is going to pay off in a big way. Delicious.
What Fruit Can I Use in a Coffee Cake!
- For this recipe, you can substitute many different fruits and use them in the same way as the apple pieces.
- Raspberries are a classic.
- No one could complain about blueberries sprinkled in as the fruit layer.
- Sometimes the fruit sinks down a bit into the batter while it cooks. That only makes the coffee cake more beautiful.
What Are Some Other Breakfast Treats That Go Well With Coffee?
- Muffins! Almost any kind. Muffins tend to be heavier and you can even use your fingers.
- Quick breads are also perfect. Ones like banana bread or this Black Walnut Pear Bread.
- Don’t forget the donuts! Baked Maple Glazed Donuts are to die for.
Here’s a picture of the Black Walnut Pear Bread. It’s tastes as good as it looks!
Another wonderful thing is that cakes and breads freeze really well. Not one more than the other but all of them. Even moist coffee cake.
A moist coffee cake isn’t something a person thinks of when they think of coffee cake. A person tends to think on the heavier dryer side of a cake. But as you can see from the photos that this isn’t mandatory.
It is absolutely achievable and has proven to be sought after since the internet has come into our lives. Moist coffee cake is a highly searched phrase and now we can have it vegan.
Vegan Coffee Cake with Apple Cinnamon Streusel
For the Topping:
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups apple, diced very small, you could also grate it
- Preheat oven to 375°F, Lightly oil or butter a 9" square baking pan.
- Place the four streusel ingredients into a bowl and mash together with the back of as fork. You should leave it a little lumpy.
- Mix the chia seed or flax seed meal together with the water and set aside to gel.
- To a large bowl add the flour, sugar, dairy free butter and milk, baking powder, salt and chia seed mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Prepare the apple, peeled and grated or diced. This is done at the last minute to keep the apple from turning brown.
- Sprinkle the apple evenly over the batter mixture.
- Evenly spread the streusel mixture over the top of the apple.
- Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting in the center of the cake. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
Can You Freeze Vegan Coffee Cake with Apple Cinnamon Streusel?
After the coffee cake has cooked you can freeze it as one piece, in half or as individual pieces.
Use freezer baggies or glass-sided freezer-proof containers. They defrost quickly so it really doesn’t take any planning.
You can keep the coffee cake frozen for up to 6 months.
I do really like cinnamon streusel a lot. There are quite a few ways you can use it and this is my fourth recipe using it on the blog. One is Cinnamon Streusel Mini Muffins. They are way too easy to eat.