Vegan Blueberry Coffee Cake with sour cream is perfect for your next weekend breakfast or brunch. It’s topped with a delicious crumb topping and the breakfast cake is extra moist and tender thanks to the dairy-free sour cream.
The coffee cake is filled with blueberries (fresh or frozen) and the lemon flavor adds the perfect amount of freshness and zest.
I love making this breakfast cake in the spring or summer. It’s a great option for Mother’s Day or Baby/Bridal Showers. But it’s simple enough to make for a regular Sunday morning.
This delicious brunch treat uses staple baking ingredients and you can even use frozen blueberries.
Here are the ingredients you need to make the blueberry coffee cake with crumb topping:
- Dairy free butter - It’s important to soften the butter to room temperature first for easy creaming.
- Chia Seeds - The chia seeds are mixed with water to form a chia egg that helps bind the coffee cake together.
- Dairy-Free Sour Cream - This adds the perfect tang to offset the sweetness and makes the coffee cake super moist.
- Lemon - Both juice and zest for the best flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Organic Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda
- Blueberries - I prefer using fresh when they are in season but you can also use frozen blueberries (do not thaw first)
- Organic Powdered Sugar - for the easy glaze
- Vanilla Extract
- Dairy-Free Milk - You can use your favorite to make the glaze
How to make lemon blueberry coffee cake
It is so simple to make this vegan blueberry coffee cake recipe. See the steps below:
- Prepare Pan - Preheat the oven and spray your baking pan with cooking spray or lightly brush with oil.
- You can either use a 9-inch springform pan or a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Mix Wet Ingredients - Start by creaming the softened butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add in the dairy-free sour cream, vanilla, and chia egg. Mix until well combined then mix in the lemon zest and juice.
- Mix Dry Ingredients - Whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients to the wet - reserving 1-2 tablespoons of the dry ingredients to toss with the blueberries.
- Add Blueberries - Toss the blueberries with the reserved flour mixture in a small bowl. This helps keep the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the coffee cake. Gently fold in the coated blueberries to the coffee cake batter.
- Add to Prepared Pan - Add the batter into the greased pan and spread evenly. Top with the streusel topping (steps below) and bake.
How to make the crumb copping
The crumb topping is so easy to make but really takes the lemon blueberry coffee cake with sour cream over the top!
- Mix Dry Ingredients - Whisk together the granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, and cinnamon.
- Cut in the Butter - Use a fork (or pastry cutter) to cut in the butter until crumbs form. You want the topping to have some larger and some smaller crumbs.
- Sprinkle over cake - After spreading the batter in the pan sprinkle the topping over the coffee cake batter
Why use a springform pan
A springform pan has two parts. One part is the base and the second part is a removable ring that forms the sides of the pan.
After baking a dessert in a springform, you can lift off and remove the ring instead of tipping a traditional pan upside down.
They are commonly used for cheesecakes and tarts to avoid damaging the dessert when removing. Using a springform pan for the coffee cake lets you easily remove it without damaging the crumble topping.
Yes, this coffee cake can be made ahead. Without the glaze, it can be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to 4 days.
But it is at its best the day of and day after making. If the glaze has been poured over the coffee cake, then store in the fridge.
No, you don’t need to add the crumb topping. The blueberry coffee cake is moist and delicious on its own.
Yes, you can swap in other berries for the blueberries. Raspberries and blackberries are also great choices in this coffee cake.
More vegan blueberry desserts:
- Blueberry Apple Pie - This foldover vegan blueberry pie is a fun spin and easier to make than a traditional pie recipe. It’s great as a smaller batch dessert too!
- Blueberry Apple Healthy Popsicles - It takes only two ingredients to make these fruity and healthy treats. They’re a fun, family option for hot summer days!
- Dairy-Free New York Cheesecake - Top slices of this rich vegan cheesecake with a delicious blueberry sauce.
Vegan Blueberry Coffee Cake
- ¾ cup dairy free butter, softened - 1 ½ sticks
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds mixed with 9 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ cups dairy free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups organic granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup organic granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup dairy free butter, softened
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon 1 to 2 teaspoons dairy free milk - depending on consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray baking pan with cooking spray - can use 9 inch springform pan or 13x9 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add sour cream, vanilla extract and chia seed mixture, cream until well combined.
- Add zest and juice, mix well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, reserve 1-2 teaspoons of dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, add blueberries and reserved flour mixture and toss to coat. This will help prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom while cooking.
- Gently fold blueberries into mixture, being careful not to break the berries.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter with fork until topping is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over coffee cake.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven on to cooling rack.
- If using springform pan, remove from pan onto platter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ingredients for glaze until smooth and thin.
- Drizzle over warm coffee cake.