Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins with Streusel Topping are little cakes that are covered with a sweet crumble top. These baked goods are little bites of heaven for breakfast or afternoon snack.
Ever heard of a streusel topping? If you are into homemade baking or pastry making, then I am sure you know what I’m talking about.
Even if you didn’t know its name, I feel sure you’ve eaten streusel more than once. Streusel’s a crumbly topping made out of flour, butter, and sugar and then, in this recipe, baked on muffins.
You can sprinkle it on pretty much anything right before baking, like cakes, fruit pies, and even bread. And why not Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins?
It gives your baked goods a nice top layer that looks not only good but also tastes delicious—a sweet crispy crumble that adds a nice crunch and buttery flavor.
Who doesn’t love that?
Streusel originates from the classic German breakfast-type cake the Streuselkuchen or crumb cake. Streuselkuchen – I like it!
Well, I am in love with the basic crunch that is not only very easy to make but is also highly customizable. By adding one or a few ingredients you can completely change the texture and flavors of this topping.
I don’t know what it is but that little extra topping on a cake, cupcake or muffin makes everyone get all giddy inside.
- Add some warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom. Think pumpkin pie spice for Holiday baking.
- Mix in finely chopped nuts to add texture and flavor. I am adding pecans in this recipe, but feel free to swap them with walnuts, or maybe hazelnuts.
- Maybe swap a portion of the flour for cookie or cracker crumbs. Yep, you can even go fancy with Italian biscotti or Amaretto cookies. Yum!
- Just use the same ratio of dry ingredients as the recipe and always mix well with the butter
YOU MAY LIKE THESE RECIPES TOO:
Cinnamon Streusel Mini Muffins which has cinnamon mixed into the streusel.
Little bits of apple are laying right below this streusel for a wonderful Coffee Cake with Apple Cinnamon Streusel.
How To Make A Simple Streusel Recipe
I always seem to come back to this simple streusel topping for muffins, and it is so easily thrown together.
- Brown sugar: it has that rich molasses flavor and also gives an extra crunchy texture to the streusel. Use organic.
- Flour: you’ll need just a little for binding the mixture, and it also helps with the crumbling texture. Unless you want to go gluten-free, use all-purpose flour.
- Dairy-free butter: this adds the much-needed moisture and buttery flavors that a streusel needs before it goes into the oven.
- And pecans: although optional, I love their sweet, nutty flavor and they complement the cinnamon and chocolate flavored muffins.
- Below are two photos showing how simple it is to combine four ingredients for a wonderful streusel.
- Chop the pecans as fine as you like. I’ve done them two different ways pictured in the photos of the finished muffins.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
Since you now know that I am all about an excellent vegan streusel crumble, let me tell you why I love topping it on these warm and homey muffins.
- Because the muffin batter already contains warm cinnamon spices and are filled with sweet chocolate chips.
- Once baked these combo flavors are just pure magic with that crunchy buttery topping.
- They elevate these chocolate chip muffins not only due to taste and texture, but they also add visual appeal.
- Try serving them in a muffin basket ready for the taking and it warms up any brunch table.
- I tend to make these muffins when I know there is going to be a larger crowd in the house.
- Because it is the best self-serve breakfast that everyone loves. Set up fresh coffee or tea, a basket of muffins, maybe some fresh fruit and you are ready to lounge with the rest.
- And if you make them way ahead of time, they quickly defrost—always handy for the occasional lazy mornings or when you want to keep things simple.
- They are also a perfect snack or on-the-go treat for guests at any time of the day.
As for making the muffins, you are just measuring and mixing and you know how easy that is when its all done in one bowl.
Mix just to combine and then fold in your nice cup of chocolate chips. Next spoon into your muffin cups and top with the streusel topping.
On the very first muffin photos, I didn’t use paper muffin cups so the streusel isn’t so thick and out to the edges.
If you use paper cups you can really load them up as seen in the photos of the bottom finished muffins. Either way, it works.
I don’t know what it is, but that little extra topping on a cake, cupcake or muffin makes everyone get all giddy. And when they are happy, I am happy too!
So treat yourself with these Vegan Streusel Topped Chocolate Chip Muffins that are simply little edible heavens!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins with Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pecans
For the Muffins:
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners
To Make the Streusel Topping:
- Mix the sugar and flour together.
- Stir in the pecans and butter
- Mix well and set aside.
For the Muffin Batter:
- Mix the flax seed meal with the water and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, sugars, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the milk, melted dairy-free butter and flax seed mixture. Mix until just blended.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the 12 lined muffin tins.
- Now, spoon the streusel topping over the batter in each muffin tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes and then remove to a rack to cool completely.