Slow Cooker Vegan Sausage Hoagie makes life easier by being able to do it all in the crockpot. A flavorful sandwich that would hit the spot right now.
I just finished hoeing and planting green beans, along with some varieties of tomatoes. Now it is time to reward myself with a great lunch. A flavorful sandwich sounds like it would hit the spot.
It won’t be too long until I will have fresh tomatoes for this recipe. Tomato paste is still bought but for the crushed tomatoes I add fresh to a food processor and give them a quick spin.
Slow Cooker Vegan Sausage Hoagie uses a combination of techniques to make life easier. One is buying a plant-based sausage and the other is using the crockpot.
The sausage that I use is already very spicy but I love to go for it and add more fire. You make your judgement call. There are plant-based sausages that are not so hot but the recipe would be made the same. Enjoy this man/woman/child pleaser hoagie!
Slow Cooker Vegan Sausage Hoagie
Slow Cooker Vegan Sausage Hoagie makes life easier by being able to do it all in the crockpot.
- 12 ounces grain based chipotle sausage - I use one package of 4 sausages of Field Roast Mexican Cipotle
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes - 1 large can
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon chili pepper - finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 hoagie buns Italian or whole wheat hoagie buns
- Cut the casings off of the 'sausages', handling carefully. They will break. The 'sausages' aren't that delicate but be a little gentle.
- Cut the 'sausage' into large chunks, about 4 slices per 'sausage' which gives you five pieces for each sausage - see the sandwich below. Or ... cut into a little bit smaller pieces - see the photo above.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat to medium high.
- Add the sausage to the pan and brown on all sides.
- When done, set aside to cool and then put in the refrigerator.
- While the' sausage' is browning, put all the remaining ingredients (except the buns) in the slow cooker.
- Stir and cook on high 3 to 4 hours.
- At the end of your cooking time add the 'sausage' and stir carefully. Leave on high and cook another 1/2 hour.
- That's it! All done.
TO ENJOY YOUR SANDWICH WITHOUT FREEZING:
Load up your hoagie buns with whatever vegetables you like. Great extras are lettuce, onions, black olives and bell peppers. Then spoon four 'sausage' pieces down the center along with some sauce. Scrunch and try to fit it in your mouth.
If freezing - do not make your sandwich and let the 'sausage' mixture cool completely to room temperature.Freeze in a freezer safe container.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator 6-8 hours before preparing. Put all of the ingredients in a large saucepan and heat through. Serve on a hoagie bun and enjoy the heat.
Here’s a picture I snapped about 4 years ago. This Slow Cooker Vegan Sausage Hoagie really is one of my favorites. I used larger chunks of Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage and it is on a whole wheat bun. This is not a sponsored post – I just think their grain based sausage if the best.
They also have Italian and Smoked Apple Sage if you want to have your sandwiches a little less spicy.
You could also add a whole slew of vegetables to this sandwich. More lettuce, sliced black olives, rings of green bell pepper and onion. You know your favorites. I would lay all of the vegetables first and then put the crock~pot special right down the middle.
I don’t think I need to tell you how important it is to not slice the bread all the way through and to have a stack of napkins. My happy place can be yours.