Slow Cooker Vegan Sausage Hoagie makes life easier by being able to do it all in the crockpot. A flavorful sandwich that would hit the spot right now.
I just finished hoeing and planting green beans, along with some varieties of tomatoes. Now it is time to reward myself with a great lunch. A flavorful sandwich sounds like it would hit the spot.
It won't be too long until I will have fresh tomatoes for this recipe. Tomato paste is still bought but for the crushed tomatoes I add fresh to a food processor and give them a quick spin.
Slow Cooker Vegan Sausage Hoagie uses a combination of techniques to make life easier. One is buying a plant-based sausage and the other is using the crockpot.
The sausage that I use is already very spicy but I love to go for it and add more fire. You make your judgement call. There are plant-based sausages that are not so hot but the recipe would be made the same. Enjoy this man/woman/child pleaser hoagie!
Slow Cooker Vegan Sausage Hoagie
- 12 ounces grain based chipotle sausage - I use one package of 4 sausages of Field Roast Mexican Cipotle
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes - 1 large can
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon chili pepper - finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 hoagie buns Italian or whole wheat hoagie buns
- Cut the casings off of the 'sausages', handling carefully. They will break. The 'sausages' aren't that delicate but be a little gentle.
- Cut the 'sausage' into large chunks, about 4 slices per 'sausage' which gives you five pieces for each sausage - see the sandwich below. Or ... cut into a little bit smaller pieces - see the photo above.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat to medium high.
- Add the sausage to the pan and brown on all sides.
- When done, set aside to cool and then put in the refrigerator.
- While the' sausage' is browning, put all the remaining ingredients (except the buns) in the slow cooker.
- Stir and cook on high 3 to 4 hours.
- At the end of your cooking time add the 'sausage' and stir carefully. Leave on high and cook another 1/2 hour.
- That's it! All done.
Here's a picture I snapped about 4 years ago. This Slow Cooker Vegan Sausage Hoagie really is one of my favorites. I used larger chunks of Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage and it is on a whole wheat bun. This is not a sponsored post - I just think their grain based sausage if the best.
They also have Italian and Smoked Apple Sage if you want to have your sandwiches a little less spicy.
You could also add a whole slew of vegetables to this sandwich. More lettuce, sliced black olives, rings of green bell pepper and onion. You know your favorites. I would lay all of the vegetables first and then put the crock~pot special right down the middle.
I don't think I need to tell you how important it is to not slice the bread all the way through and to have a stack of napkins. My happy place can be yours.