Fat Little Soft Pretzel Bites are soft and chewy just like they should be. Irresistible, so pop one in your mouth and serve them with a variety of mustards.
It all started at the movies. I don’t remember the year I had my first big soft pretzels but I remember that every time I went back to the movies that was what I wanted as my new favorite treat. With mustard, of course.
Fast forward. Now I can have all the pleasure of a big pretzel in little bites that are so cute. You can too and you don’t even have to leave your house.
You start with a simple dough mixture and roll them up in small balls.
I don’t think I need to tell you how great Soft Pretzel Bites are straight out of the oven. Don’t forget the sweet hot mustard either.
Soft Pretzel Bites
- 1/4 ounce packet active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water, follow yeast packet directions for water temperature. It is usually around 110°
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour - for kneading
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Add the active dry yeast to the warm water and stir. Let set for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, baking soda, brown sugar and salt. Mix together.
- Add the oil and the water/yeast mixture. Mix well. It will be sticky.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic adding flour as needed. This should only take a couple of minutes.
- Divide the dough into fourths and then roll out into a cigar shape that is about 15” to 17” long. Cut each length into 1” pieces. Place the pieces on the prepared baking sheet so that they do not touch.
- Preheat the oven to 350° while the pretzel pieces are resting and then bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Test a piece and see if the dough is done on the inside. Take out of the oven and let cool on the baking sheet.
You can freeze the pretzels for about a month. They will become a bit harder. You can soften the pretzels, after defrosting, in a microwave for a few seconds.
The tradition continues. Beautiful new photos for one of my first recipes Twice Baked Potatoes. Click on the photo and check it out!