Soft Pretzel Bites are little and soft and chewy just like they should be. A perfect snack or appetizer for get-togethers and game day. Soft baked pretzels are irresistible, so pop one in your mouth and serve them with a variety of mustards.
It all started at the movies. I don’t remember the year I had my first big soft pretzel but I remember that every time I went back to the movies that was what I wanted as my new favorite treat.
With yellow mustard, of course.
Fast forward. Now I can have all the pleasure of a big pretzel in cute little bites. You can too and you don’t even have to leave your house.
You start with a simple dough mixture and roll them up in small balls.
I don’t think I need to tell you how great Soft Pretzel Bites are straight out of the oven.
Are Soft Pretzels Vegan?
- They are almost always vegan. That is unless they’ve been brushed with butter before or after baking.
- That’s not the usual occurrence though.
- Even good old giant Mickey Mouse pretzels at Disneyland are vegan. That’s about the only thing I could eat up until a short while ago.
- Thank goodness they’re adding more options over there.
- If you’d like to try your hand at twisting pretzels into the traditional shape I have that recipe too. They are an Easy Homemade Soft Pretzels Recipe.
- You may have already seen them on the web or over on Pinterest.
What Are Great Soft Pretzel Dips?
- First off, yellow prepared mustard is a go-to. It is very popular.
- In fact, so many mustards go really well with soft pretzels. Don’t forget the sweet hot mustard either.
- Many people have become Ranch dressing fanatics. Well, I have a Dairy free Ranch Dressing on the blog that is to die for and it would be perfect with these snacks.
- Any one of your vegan favorite nacho cheese dip recipes would work too.
- Make sure the dough balls are round and smooth. That will make much nicer looking pretzels in the end.
- If you have creases in the dough the balls will have creases when baked.
- Roll each ball into a rope that is about 15″ to 17″ long. More importantly, you want the diameter of the dough to be about 1″ or a bit more.
- Cut the logs into as square as possible to get the look that is in these photos. So if the dough is 1″ in diameter then the slices will be about every 1″.
- You can see some are a bit more rectangle and that’s fine too. I just want you to get the look you want.
- If you’d like longer rectangle bites just cut a little longer. Any shape will taste just as delicious as the other.
Soft Baked Pretzels Ingredients
- packet active dry yeast – makes the dough rise for light baked goods
- water – is warmed and mixed with the yeast
- all-purpose flour – is the main ingredient
- whole wheat flour – adds more nutrition to the appetizers
- baking soda – is the leavening agent
- brown sugar – makes the dough just right, you may also substitute with coconut sugar
- salt – is amazing for a little bit of seasoning
- coconut oil – adds flavor
How To Make This Easy Soft Pretzel Recipe
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Add the active dry yeast to the warm water and stir. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, baking soda, sugar and salt. Mix together.
- Add the oil to the water/yeast mixture and add to the four mixture. Mix well. It will be sticky.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, just a tablespoon or so, and knead until smooth and elastic adding flour as needed. You may use a couple of tablespoons of flour. This should only take a couple of minutes.
- There is no actual rising time done here.
- Divide the dough into fourths and then roll out into a cigar shape that is about 15” to 17” long.
- Cut each length into 1” pieces. The shape of the cut dough will be the shape of the pretzels – just fatter after resting and baking.
- Place the pieces on the prepared baking sheet so that they do not touch.
- Preheat the oven to 350° while the pretzel pieces are resting and then bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Test a piece and see if the dough is done on the inside. Take out of the oven and let cool on the baking sheet.
More Finger Food Fun
Crescent Roll Pesto Appetizers are simple and have two kinds of pestos.
One of everybody’s favorites is Rolled Toasted Mushroom Appetizers.
Garlic Hummus Stuffed Mini Bread Bowls are out of this world delicious!
What Do You Think?
If you take a photo of your Soft Pretzel Bites recipe, follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer. I’d love to see it!
And if you’d like to leave a star rating along with a comment, it would really be appreciated.
Soft Pretzel Bites
- 1/4 ounce packet active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water, follow yeast packet directions for water temperature. It is usually around 110°
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour - for kneading
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Add the active dry yeast to the warm water and stir. Let set for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, baking soda, brown sugar and salt. Mix together.
- Add the oil and the water/yeast mixture. Mix well. It will be sticky.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic adding flour as needed. This should only take a couple of minutes.
- Divide the dough into fourths and then roll out into a cigar shape that is about 15” to 17” long. Cut each length into 1” pieces. Place the pieces on the prepared baking sheet so that they do not touch.
- Preheat the oven to 350° while the pretzel pieces are resting and then bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Test a piece and see if the dough is done on the inside. Take out of the oven and let cool on the baking sheet.