Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions can be made ahead of time and it’s easy. No standing over the stove for an hour for this rich, sweet and flavorful vegetable.
Do you love caramelized onions? I do and on almost everything. Real caramelized onions take about an hour to make. They need to cook low and slow until the sugars are released and the color becomes a beautiful walnut color. Not sauteed but rich, sweet and caramelized.
Make a huge batch so that you always have caramelized onions on hand. I freeze it in different size, small, freezer jars.
Some went into a soup at our house last week and it was a great addition. It is also good on so many kinds of sandwiches.
I am taking 1/4 pint out of the freezer today because tonight we’re having white pizza. Stay tuned because that will be going on the blog very soon too.
This is so simple and delicious you just have to try it.
Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions
Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions can be made ahead of time and it's easy.
- 5 quarts large white onions, sliced thin (this is for a 4 to 6 slow cooker, depending on the size of the onions)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Spread coconut oil around the bottom and about halfway up the sides of the slow cooker.
- Fill up crock pot with sliced onions to about 3/4 full. It can be a bit more than this as the onions will start to cook down very quickly.
- I used a 6 quart slow cooker but a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker will work, depending on the size of your onions)
- Turn on low for 10 hours.
- The last hour of cooking time, crack the lid so that the extra moisture can start to cook away.
- You do not need to do this but you will get a richer color.
- This is where you will need to stir the onions about every 15 minutes to make sure they don't stick to the slow cooker.
- The onions will thicken and color as it cooks with the lid cracked open.
- You might only need 1/2 hour to color them so be around to check.
Makes about 6 Cups.
- Let cool and freeze in small batches so that you will have them in hand any time you want.
- They will also keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.