Shortbread Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are soft and crumbly and melt in your mouth. Filled with a creamy chocolate icing.
I’ll say it right out. I think Pepperidge Farms should buy my Shortbread Chocolate Sandwich Cookies recipe because they are that good. Ha! You have got to make them!
The baked dough is soft crumbly melt in your mouth shortbread cookie and then the chocolate filling is like chocolaty frosting. I can go for that!
Now, let’s not go crazy and eat too many Shortbread Chocolate Sandwich Cookies. If you don’t want the chocolate they are wonderful single layer cookies also.
Shortbread Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
For the Cookie Dough
- 1 pound vegan butter, softened
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
Ingredients for the filling
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons dairy free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
For the dough
- In a large bowl add all of the dough ingredients.
- Mix with a hand mixer or by hand.
- Put in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Make 1 Tablespoon size balls. I love to use the cookie dough scoop that is about 1" in diameter.
- Place the balls on a baking sheet.
- Space about 1-1/2" apart.
- By the time you have filled up the baking sheet they have softened a bit.
- Flatten the tops of the cookie balls, just a bit, with the back of fork tines.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 16 to 17 minutes.
- Let cool.
To make the filling
- Melt the chocolate in a medium sized microwave safe bowl in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir and turn on the microwave for another minute.
- Stir and if the chocolate is not melted completely it will be, all by itself, in no time.
- Mix the rest of the filling with a hand mixer. It makes it so much easier and smoother. Of course, you can do it by hand if you do not have a hand mixer.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the vegan butter to the chocolate.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and soy milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix well.
- Add the remaining vegan butter and mix well.
Assemble the cookies
- I turn all of the cookies out on a baking sheet (just to contain any of the crumbs that may accumulate.
- Sort of, match the sizes with each other. One will be the top and one will be the bottom.
- You can either dollop a little bit of chocolate on one side, in the center, of the cookie or use a decorator tip to pipe on the chocolate onto each cookie.
- Lay the top of the cookie on the chocolate and lightly press down for the filling to reach the edge. You can actually put quite a lot of chocolate on each cookie. More than I did in the photos.
- That is it! The chocolate will set a bit and won't be so squishy but will still remain soft.
- Store in an airtight container.
You can freeze them also if you made them in advance for a special occasion.
Package in rigid sided containers as defined in my article How to Prepare Food for the Freezer.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Remove from the freezer and just set out. They defrost in no time.