Vegan Sausage Sandwich with Peppers and Onions is an old-fashioned sandwich that deserves its place in the present. Tender Seitan from the Slow Cooker too!
Who can pass up a great sandwich? This Vegan Sausage Sandwich with Peppers and Onions - especially - has been a long time favorite of mine.
Now that there is the perfect recipe for high protein plant-based sausage links, that is foolproof, you can have this special sandwich whenever you want.
Where is this recipe, you ask? Right here on this page! Down at the top of the recipe card is step by step instructions for the best, just, the best seitan maple links.
Sautéd onions and peppers just seem to be the perfect bottom layer for these links and then top them with avocado and, voila!
I used two sauces, vegan mayo on the bottom and vegan chipotle mayo on the top. It was a nice combination of flavors but go for any of your favorites.
A Vegan Sausage Sandwich is something you don't get every day. It's more of a special game day food or 'company's coming' kind of sandwich.
Let's change that. I declare the Vegan Sausage Sandwich a weekend sandwich and ... dinner! Since this seitan recipe makes a lot you'll have some in the freezer for whenever your heart desires.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Tips for Making Slow Cooker Seitan
Seitan calls for kneading. The more kneading you do the more glutenous it becomes. Sometimes I like it that way for slicing and sometimes I want a tender bite.
So you can knead less. Like 2 to 3 minutes if it all holds well together and has some elasticity.
You can save some time by making it into one log and slicing it after it has cooled. They won't be the perfect little rounds but they'll still taste just as good.
If you're in a major hurry and can afford it this weekend then you can buy your sausage links. Field Roast has come out with a small pack of about 8 links. They are still vital wheat gluten and delicious.
Don't forget to brown your links before making the sandwich. It just tastes really good that way.
What are Some Other Seitan Sandwiches?
This Texas BBQ Sausage Seitan Sandwich is spicy delicious!
Let's Get Connected!
Now move on back the this great Sausage Seitan Sandwich and have it for breakast, lunch, or dinner.
Vegan Sausage Sandwich with Slow Cooker Seitan
Slow Cooker Seitan
- 1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups water, divided, 1/2 cup for the seitan and 2 cups for the crock pot
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
To Make the Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon oil for sauteing
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon dairy free butter
- 1 cup seitan maple links, recipe above - this makes 4 cups so you'll be able to freeze some
- 1 avocado, sliced at the last minute
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
Slow Cooker Seitan Links
- This recipe makes 32 little links. This is more than you need but seitan freezes great and you might as well make the whole recipe and freeze the extra so that you can pull out a few whenever you want.
- Add the first 6 ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well.
- In a separate small bowl add ½ cup water, tomato sauce, maple syrup, ketchup, salt, oil. Mix well.
- To the slow cooker add vegetable broth and 2 cups water. Cover and turn on low.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the tomato sauce wet mixture. Stir. This comes together quickly.
- Start to knead in the bowl. It is a wet mixture but will start to become elastic. Knead about 3 to 4 minutes for a softer and tender breakfast link.
- Pinch off small chunks and then roll between the palms of your hands. Pretty quickly back and forth. You really can’t form a pretty link but it works. To make these small links you'll have 32. If you're fine with larger links then you can make 16. The small ones will be about 3" to 4" long.
- Drop the links into the crock pot liquid.
- Cover and turn on low for 7 to 8 hours. Either time is fine. They will plump up and become larger in size.
- Remove from the slow cooker and continue with the sandwich preparation. Let the extra seitan cool before storing.
- To store - Keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and use as needed. They freeze really well either in their liquid or without.
To Make The Sandwiches
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Add onions and bell peppers and saute for about 15 minutes or until the onion is lightly golden.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
- Add the dairy free butter to the pan and heat.
- Add sausage links to the pan and brown on all sides. If you made the larger size of links then slice lengthwise through the center and fry that way. The sausages are already cooked all the way through and you can even eat them cold but this makes the sandwich nicer.
- Spread bread with favored condiments, layer onion mixture, seitan and then avocado.
Seitan freezes perfectly. You would almost think it was made for it. You can freeze it in it's liquid or not.
If you freeze in liquid then you'll need to squeeze the liquid out after defrosting unless it goes into a stew or soup.
Freeze for up to 6 months.
A great vegan ingredient for very little money.