Roasted Vegetable Sandwich- Fresh veggies sauteed in coconut oil are combined with two types of roasted peppers, then piled inside sandwich rolls drizzled in Italian dressing. On those warm weather days, this delicious sandwich is a great recipe to experiment with!
Vegan roasted veggie sandwiches are a delicious way to enjoy roasted veggies. Simply roast your favorite veggies, pile them onto a piece of bread, drizzle with Italian dressing, add your favorite condiments, and enjoy. I like to use peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes, but you can use all the veggies you want. These sandwiches are a quick, easy, and delicious way to get your daily dose of veggies. Plus, they're a great way to use up any leftover vegetables you might have. A roasted vegetable sandwich is the perfect recipe for meat eaters and vegans alike.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Roasted Veggie Sandwich Recipe
Colorful- With a variety of colorful roasted vegetables, this sandwich is delicious and absolutely gorgeous.
Quick & Easy- A roasted vegetable sandwich take about 30 minutes to prepare from start to finish with very little prep time required.
Flexible- You're not stuck using only the vegetables in this recipe. Get creative and make these sandwiches your own.
No Complicated Equipment- There's no need for fancy equipment to make these sandwiches.
Full Of Flavor- The combination of roasted vegetables, Italian dressing, and fresh bread makes for the perfect sandwich.
What Is A Roasted Vegetable Sandwich?
A roasted vegetable sandwich is a vegan-friendly meal made with roasted veggies, bread, and Italian dressing. It's much healthier than traditional deli sandwiches, and it's a great way to get a variety of vegetables into your diet. Plus, you can customize this sandwich with your favorite flavorful ingredients like vegan cheese, avocado, or salsa.
- Baking Sheet
- Paring Knife
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Red Bell Pepper- Adds a sweet flavor and crunch.
- Green Chili Peppers- For a slight bit of heat.
- Coconut Oil- For sautéing the vegetables. Extra virgin olive oil or traditional olive oil could also be used.
- White Onion- Enhances the sandwich with a slightly sweet flavor.
- Sweet Potato- Provides a subtle sweetness and heartiness.
- Button Mushrooms- Adds an earthy flavor.
- Italian Dressing- For a little zing.
- Sandwich Rolls- To contain all the deliciousness.
- Lettuce (Optional)- For a bit of extra crunch and freshness.
How To Make A Roasted Veggie Sandwich
To prepare, start by roasting the peppers. Preheat oven and set it to broil. When it's heated up, put the peppers on the top rack of the oven and turn them frequently with tongs until all sides are blackened. To keep the juice from spoiling your oven, lay a baking sheet on the second rack to catch any juices dripping off the peppers.
While the peppers cook, melt coconut oil in a skillet and add the onions. Sauté until softened, then set aside. Next, brown the sweet potatoes on both sides in the same skillet before removing and sautéing the mushrooms.
When the peppers have blackened, take them out and allow them to cool. Once cool, rub off the blackened skin with a damp paper towel or peel them with a pairing knife if the damp paper towel isn't working. Cut out the stem, remove the seeds, and set them aside.
Cut the rolls in half down the middle, spread them apart, and drizzle each side with Italian dressing. Add the prepared vegetables to the bottom half of each roll, top with lettuce, salt and pepper, or any other condiment you like, put the top on each roll, and enjoy!
What to Serve With A Roasted Veggie Sandwich
Roasted veggie sandwiches are hearty and filling enough to stand on their own, but if you're looking for something to serve alongside them, here are a few ideas:
- A simple green salad
- Fruit salad
- Potato chips
- French Fries
- A pickle spear
- A cold beverage of your choice
No matter how you choose to enjoy them, I hope you love these roasted sandwiches as much as I do!
Popular Substitutions & Additions
As with any recipe, there are a few popular substitutions and additions that you can make to this vegan veggie sandwich recipe to suit your taste.
Add Cheese- Add vegan cheese slices or shreds for a cheesy twist.
Make It Spicy- If you like things spicy, add some chopped jalapenos or sriracha sauce.
Add Avocado- For a creamy and flavorful addition, add fresh avocado slices.
Bread- If you're not a fan of sandwich rolls, feel free to use any bread you like such as a sub roll, sourdough bread, or crusty rolls. You can also toast the bread for an added crunch.
Vegetables- Not a fan of mushrooms or sweet potatoes? No problem! Swap them for other roasted vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or squash. Swap the red bell pepper out for yellow, orange, or green bell peppers. Use a red onion in place of white onions. You can also add fresh basil and sun-dried tomatoes for an extra fresh flavor.
Oil- If you don't have coconut oil, olive oil, or avocado oil, both make a great sandwich.
Other- You can also add salt, freshly ground black pepper and other condiments such as hummus, vegan mayo, or basil pesto spread to taste.
Can You Freeze Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches?
Yes! Roasted veggie sandwiches can be easily frozen and reheated for a quick meal anytime. To freeze, wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap or place in an airtight, freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then heat on the stovetop or in the microwave until warmed through. Enjoy!
Ultimate Roasted Vegetable Sandwich FAQs
Is this veggie sandwich gluten-free?
This recipe, as written, is not gluten-free. However, it can easily be made gluten-free by swapping the rolls for a gluten-free option.
Can I make a vegetable sandwich ahead of time?
Yes, vegetable sandwiches are perfect for meal prep! Just store them in the fridge or freezer until you're ready to enjoy.
Do I have to use Italian dressing on this roasted veggie sandwich?
No, you can use any dressing or sauce you like. Some other popular options are BBQ sauce, vegan mayo or ranch, and mustard.
What other vegetables can I use in this recipe?
The possibilities are endless! Some other great options are eggplant, zucchini, and squash.
Can I use a food processor in this roasted vegetable sandwich recipe?
Yes, you can use a food processor to slightly chop the bell peppers and onion. Just make sure you don't overprocess them, or they will turn to mush. Ideally, you should use a knife to chop the vegetables by hand to ensure the vegetables are a good size for roasting.
Roasted Vegetable Sandwich
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green chili peppers
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil divided into three for sautéing
- 1 white onion sliced
- 1 sweet potato
- 16 ounce button mushrooms
- ½ cup Italian dressing or a mix of oil and vinegar with Italian spices
- 4 big sandwich rolls
- lettuce any that you like for the sandwiches
- First - roast your pepper. All can be done at the same time. The red and green peppers. Heat the broiler.
- With tongs place the bell pepper on the top shelf turning often to get all sides blackened. It is a good idea to put a baking sheet on the rack below the peppers because when you go to turn them with your tongs juices can drip out. When the peppers are black, take them out of the over.
- Let cool and then rub off the blackened skin with a damp paper towel or peel with a paring knife if you are having trouble. Just grab an edge of the skin with the knife and peel off.
- Cut out the stem end and take out all of the pepper seeds. Set aside.
- While the peppers are roasting. Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a skillet to medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until the onions are translucent. About 10-15 minutes. You can also do the mushrooms at the same time. In fact, You can do all of this at the same time but you will dirty more pans. Do it all at once or do it back to back, overlapping a little. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil to medium high heat.
- Add the sliced sweet potatoes, brown on one side and then flip and brown on the other. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the rolls down the center and spread apart. Drizzle ⅛ cup of Italian dressing on each side of the rolls.
- Divide all the vegetable in layers between the four rolls. Add a lettuce layer of your favorite lettuce. Put the top on and take a big bite!