This Homemade Rice Pilaf recipe with Sausage and Peanuts is a great staple because of the simple fact that everyone loves it. Vegetables, rice, spices and broth meld together perfectly.
Rice Pilaf is a great staple because of the simple fact that everyone loves it. This is basically mother's recipe but I have added meatless sausage to this rendition so it has also become a main dish. Peanuts are added for another nice texture.
It's always handy to have a recipe on hand for company that has meat eaters or for people who are trying to transition slowly.
The plant based copycat products such as sausage and chicken come in very handy in helping people see that they can come on over to the bright side.
It's always best to be able to serve whole foods but that's not always possible with some people. I think a lot of you have these people in your lives. Wonderful loving people who aren't plant-based eaters yet. I feel sure they will be some day.
This homemade rice pilaf recipe is packed full of flavor. You won't believe your first test bite. I feel sure you'll be very happy as will your loved ones and friends.
Yes, it freezes perfectly. Pack it in a rigid sided freezer container. Iy will keep for up to 4 months.
It stores well in the refrigerator for four days.
I think Jasmine is the best. It's fragrant and cooks up nice and fluffy.
- Add a few peas and carrots
- Chopped red or yellow bell peppers
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Nuts that you can sub for peanuts
More rice main dish recipes
- Don't miss out on the delicious flavors for this Thai Sticky Rice recipe.
- Vegan Steak and Rice is comforting and it really hits the spot.
- Just a few ingredients makes this Broccoli Rice Casserole a family favorite.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Rice Pilaf Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion - about 10 oz., finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper - small, about 10 oz., finely chopped
- 1 package 8 oz. to 10 oz. vegan Italian sausage Field Roast and Tofukey work great
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 10 ounce vegetable broth - low sodium if you like
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup salted peanuts
- Cook the rice and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and saute about 10 minutes.
- While this is cooking chop or slice the plant based Italian sausage into small chunks.
- Add the sausage to the skillet along with the onion mixture. Add the cumin and Italian seasoning.
- Cook for about 10 minutes at a medium heat.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and vegetable broth to the skillet and cook about 5 minutes for a lot of the liquid to cook away and season the veggies and rice.