Red River Rice is simple and versatile and something the whole family will enjoy. After the rice is complete you can even toss in sauteed zukes.
Shopping on a budget is a challenge. Especially with the costs of groceries. Today I and many other bloggers are each offering a recipe that costs pennies to prepare per person.
The recipe I have chosen is Red River Rice. It is simple and versatile and something the whole family will enjoy.
To save money I often buy in bulk. Especially rice because it’s shelf life is so long. This recipe has lots of flavor and can easily be doubled and frozen for the future.
That not only would help save on the electricity or gas bill when used in cooking but also your time.
The cost of this dish is about 60 cents per person.
To make the dish a main meal you can add an avocado and one to two zucchinis (depending on the size of the zucchinis). That would bring the cost of your main meal to about $1.20 each person.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy .
This second recipe is called Calabasitas. The way you prepare this meal is very similar.
Prepare the Red River Rice recipe as per the directions above. In a separate skillet lightly sauté 1 to 2 zucchinis that have been sliced into rounds that are about ¼” to ½” thick. Set aside. Chop an avocado into large diced pieces. Add the zucchini and avocado to the prepared rice mixture and heat through.
That’s it! Now you have a main dish for dinner.
Red River Rice
Red River Rice is simple and versatile and something the whole family will enjoy.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent - about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, tomatoes with their juice, vegetable broth, salt and pepper.
- Heat to a boil and then cover and lower the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed into the rice.
- It will still be moist but absorbed.
- Taste the rice for tenderness.
- All set and ready to serve.
If your family likes spicier dishes you can use a can of tomatoes with herbs and spices included.