If you love pumpkin and all the fall flavor, you won't miss out on this vegan pumpkin spice cake recipe. This fluffy, super moist, and flavorful creation is the perfect fall treat. Made with simple ingredients like flour, sugar, dairy-free butter, and pumpkin spice, it's 100% plant-based. Plus, this delicious cake will surely impress your guests if you have any upcoming holiday gatherings or dinner parties.
Why You'll Love This Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe
Delicious- This vegan pumpkin spice cake is incredibly moist and flavorful. The spices bring out the flavor of the pumpkin, while the almond milk and coconut oil give it a light, fluffy texture that'll make you want to go back for seconds - or thirds!
Healthier- Unlike traditional pumpkin cake recipes, this vegan pumpkin cake is made with dairy-free ingredients like vegan butter and plant-based sour cream.
Simple Ingredients- You probably already have most of the ingredients for this recipe in your pantry, meaning you can whip up a delicious vegan pumpkin cake in no time!
Crowd Pleaser- Whether your guests are vegan or not, this vegan pumpkin spice cake will be sure to please. It's the perfect dessert for any gathering or special occasion!
What Is Pumpkin Spice Cake?
Pumpkin spice cake is a classic fall treat that combines the flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice with everyone's favorite cool-weather squash - pumpkin. This type of cake usually has a super moist, extra tender cake texture and a sweet cream cheese frosting. It is perfectly spiced, making it an absolutely delicious dessert for any occasion.
- Small Bowl
- 2 Medium Bowls
- Large Bowl
- Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Electric Mixer
- Wooden Spoon or Rubber Spatula for Mixing
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
Topping and Streusel Layer
- All Purpose Flour- Helps to bind the ingredients together to form the sweet streusel.
- Light Brown Sugar- Adds sweetness.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice- Helps to give the streusel just the right amount of classic pumpkin spice flavor.
- Ground Cinnamon- Adds flavor to the streusel.
- Sea Salt- Balances out the sweetness.
- Dairy-Free Butter- Helps to bind the ingredients together and adds flavor.
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Egg Substitute- Acts as a binder and helps the cake to rise with the flour.
- Sugar- For added sweetness.
- Vegan Butter- Adds richness and flavor to the cake.
- Dairy-Free Sour Cream or Non-Dairy Yogurt- Gives the cake a moist texture.
- Vanilla Extract- Enhances the flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour- Provides structure to the cake and helps it to rise.
- Baking Powder- Helps the vegan pumpkin cake to rise.
- Sea Salt- Ensures that the cake will not be too sweet.
How To Make Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake
To make a pumpkin spice cake, start by preparing the topping and streusel layer. Combine flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Then, add butter and use a fork to work it into the dry ingredients until it forms a fine meal.
Now, begin making the cake. Preheat the oven to 350F. Then, prepare an 8-inch baking pan by lightly oiling it or lining it with parchment paper. If using parchment paper, ensure it's positioned in the center of the pan and extends beyond the sides so that two ends of the paper overhang from opposite sides of the pan. This will make removing the cake from the pan easier once it's done.
Prepare the egg substitute according to the instructions on the package, and set it aside. Then, in a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and butter. Use an electric mixer to beat the mixture until it becomes light and fluffy. After that, add the egg substitute, vegan sour cream, and vanilla to the bowl, and mix everything together well.
Next, make the flour mixture by mixing the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined to keep the cake light and airy.
To make the layered cake, start by spreading half of the cake batter evenly across the bottom of the pan. Then, sprinkle half of the pumpkin spice streusel over the batter. Next, use the remaining batter to create small dollops on top of the streusel layer and spread them out carefully to avoid the cake layers slipping. Finally, sprinkle the remaining pumpkin spice mixture over the entire top layer.
Bake the cake for approximately 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. After baking, allow the cake to cool in the pan on a wire cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before removing, cutting, and serving. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake
Pumpkin spice cake is best served warm and can be enjoyed on its own. However, it pairs nicely with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or a dollop of dairy-free whipped cream for an extra special treat. Serving fresh pumpkin cake with a hot cup of coffee or tea is also great!
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- To make this pumpkin spice cake extra indulgent, add some vegan chocolate chips to the topping and streusel layer.
- Substitute almond, coconut, or cake flour for the all-purpose flour.
- Add ½ cup of chopped pecans or walnuts to the topping and streusel layer for added flavor and texture.
- You can also substitute maple syrup or coconut sugar for the light brown that the recipe card calls for.
- Use dairy-free milk such as almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, vegan cream cheese, or plant-based yogurt instead of vegan sour cream for a perfectly moist vegan pumpkin cake every time.
- For a richer cake, melted chocolate can be added to the batter before baking. Other add-ins, such as nuts and dried fruits, can also be used.
- Add canned pumpkin puree to the cake batter to give it more pumpkin flavor.
- Swap out the all-purpose for an appropriate gluten-free flour blend to make this cake gluten-free. You can also use melted coconut oil instead of vegan butter.
- For a super moist pumpkin cake, add ¼ cup of applesauce to the batter.
- Use vegan cream cheese frosting or cashew cream cheese frosting mixed with the streusel mixture for an even more sweet and delicious pumpkin cake.
Can You Freeze Vegan Pumpkin Cake?
Yes! Pumpkin spice cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, let the cake cool completely before wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped cake in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag and store it in the freezer. When you're ready to enjoy the best vegan pumpkin cake, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
Reheat a slice of vegan pumpkin cake in the microwave for 20-30 seconds or until warmed through. You can also reheat it in an oven set to 350F for about 10 minutes with a piece of foil loosely covering the cake to keep it from drying out.
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake FAQs
Is this cake gluten-free?
As written, this recipe is not gluten-free. However, you can substitute an appropriate gluten-free flour blend instead of the all-purpose.
Will a different size baking dish or a cake form, work for this recipe?
Yes, you can use a different size baking dish or even a cupcake tin to make cupcakes. However, you may need to adjust the bake time slightly depending on the size of your baking dish.
Can I make this vegan pumpkin cake ahead of time?
Yes! You can prepare the streusel and pre-mix the batter up to one day in advance. Store the streusel and batter separately in the fridge until you're ready to bake the cake. Once the cake has been cooked, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
The Best Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake
Inside Layer and Topping:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup dairy-free butter - softened
- 1 egg substitute - I use a chia egg but there are many to choose from
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free butter - softened
- 1 cup dairy-free sour cream - or unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the margarine and work together with the tines of a fork. I also use my fingers to blend well so that there is a fine meal when completed.
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Lightly oil an 8" square baking pan or lay parchment paper across the center and up and out of the pan. This makes it so two ends of the parchment paper are over the opposite sides of the pan. It will be easier for lifting the cake out of the pan.
- Mix the egg substitute and set aside. Follow package directions or use any of your favorite substitute. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and margarine. Use an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg substitute mix, non-dairy sour cream and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined to keep the cake light.
- Spoon half of the cake batter into the pan and push it out to the sides.
- Sprinkle half of the pumpkin spiced cinnamon sugar mixture over the bottom layer.
- Dot the remaining batter in little dabs across the top because it won't be easy to spread around over the middle layer. So little dabs makes it easier to cover completely.
- Sprinkle the remaining pumpkin spiced cinnamon sugar mixture all over the top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack at least 5 to 10 minutes.