This tender Vegan Steak over rice is a satisfying and perfect savory family recipe. It is full of delicious flavors and super easy to make. It's Vegan Pepper Steak for dinner!
This is one of those recipes that everyone loves. It has all the right flavors, and you can feel good about serving a great plant-based meal.
Even the children in our family love this dish. Well, that isn’t exactly true. I have to leave out the onions when they come to visit.
Tamari and soy sauce yes, lots of it but onions, no. Have you ever noticed how most kids love soy sauce? Thank goodness our palates mature as we get older so we can enjoy soft and sweet sautéd onions too.
Vegan pepper steak is wonderfully reminiscent of an Asian meal especially because of the mix of veggies and flavorings.
I often make this meal when a serious craving strikes for a good rice bowl. The steps are so simple that it doesn't feel like work at all.
It's nourishing and it's also a great crowd pleaser. That's another plus about this recipe. All you have to do is double the ingredients and you can serve up to eight people.
So go ahead, invite the neighbors over, friends or family too and then serve with a large salad and a big loaf of crusty bread. Delish!
Add this Vegan Steak and Rice dish into your meal rotation because:
- Sautéd vegetables, onions and two different colors of bell pepper, release their vibrant sweet flavors into this sauce.
- Cooked diced tomatoes add an incredible flavor base for the spices and seasonings.
- Tamari adds its unique taste and balances the sweetness of the vegetables. It also tastes milder and less salty than soy sauce.
- Protein-rich beefless strips are also added to the skillet and add a really nice texture too.
- Vegan Steak is perfect to be served over rice. The juices and veggies mix beautifully to complete a great taste.
- You don’t need to fuss with complicated ingredients or cooking techniques to make this balanced meal. And the prep work for this dish is crazy easy.
The sauce is made in one large skillet over the stove:
- You just sauté the vegetables for a short 10 minutes. It softens their texture and releases their sweet flavors.
- Next comes the spices and adding the beef-less strips. While that is simmering on low heat, take advantage of the time and get your rice going.
- Next, blend in the diced tomatoes into the skillet and let it cook some more to give a thicker and creamier consistency. Seriously, that’s it!
Just one skillet for the sauce and then serve over your preferred cooked rice!
Make this for your dinner, or as an entrée when guests come over.
If you're in the mood for Chinese takeout? Perfect.
It’s dinner time!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Vegan Steak with Rice
- 8 ounces beef-less strips, I used Trader Joe's
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for sautéing
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced - use the whole pepper
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced - use the whole pepper
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes, canned
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the onion, and both color bell peppers to the oil and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add the beef-less beef.
- Add the tamari, sugar, salt, pepper, cumin, and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook at medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- At this point, you can serve for dinner or freeze for the future. You would only freeze the pepper steak topping. Rice is cooked right before serving.
- If you are serving now just - Serve on the rice of your choice.
Take the sauce out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator at least 6 to 8 hours before baking (or the day before).
Right before dinner - add the sauce to a skillet or saucepan and heat through. You can add a little water to the sauce if it seems to dry. About 1/4 cup.
Cook the rice so that it is fresh and serve with the hot pepper steak topping.