Easy Chocolate Cupcakes have three textures of chocolate. Cakey cupcakes have chocolate chips inside and all is topped with a creamy frosting.
Time for chocolate! It's been weeks since one of the most popular ingredients in the world has graced my pages. Musn't be remiss!
I was just at a wedding where there were tiered stands with a large variety of cupcakes. Each type was marked with a black card and silver calligraphy.
The varieties were from simple peanut butter and chocolate cupcakes to a more unusual salted caramel type.
Really a beautiful display, something for everyone and people loved it. Let the dancing begin!
So now I am home and thinking of making my own cupcakes. Nothing too fancy this time just lots of good old-fashioned chocolate. Easy Chocolate Cupcakes with three kinds of chocolate it is!
For some reason, I feel like dancing again.
I don't make cupcakes too often but When I do I like to make them a little different. Let me show you a couple and then we'll get back the triple chocolate bonanza.
MORE CUPCAKES ❤
Chocolate Frosted Lemon Cupcakes are just how they sound and look. Creamy chocolate frosting with a lemony vanilla cupcake bottom.
How can I not show you these? All pretty and such for Halloween. Oh yeah, they're lava cupcakes!
The cupcake bottoms are rich and chocolaty and come out perfect everytime. You can top them with any of your favorite store-bought dairy-free frostings too.
Sometimes you need to take a little shortcut. Vanilla would be great with a multitude of sprinkle colors. But if you've got the time - this chocolate frosting is over-the-top delicious.
Let's Get Connected!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Easy Chocolate Cupcakes
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unbleached flour
- ¾ cup organic sugar or ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons Fair Trade cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon finely ground instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 egg substitute , I used a chia egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar organic
- ⅛ cup dairy free butter
- ⅛ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup Fair Trade Cocoa Powder plus 2 Tablespoons
- ¼ teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Place cupcake liners in 10 cupcake tins.
- Mix the vegan egg substitute and set aside. Follow package directions or use any of your favorite substitute.
For the Cupcakes:
- In a large bowl add the nondairy milk, coconut oil, vegan egg substitute, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for about a minute or two until well mixed. Scraping down a couple of times.
- To the same bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mix until well blended, scrapping down the sides.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 10 cupcake tins.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- Cream the powdered sugar and vegan butter together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spread a big dollop of frosting on a cupcake and spread around. Tap the top with a clean knife to get the little peaks.
- Sprinkle with any sprinkles colors that you like.
Freeze without the frosting.
You may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer.
They defrost quickly so it really doesn’t take any planning. Just put them in the refrigerator to defrost overnight or set out on a plate and it will take an hour or so to defrost.
Make frosting and frost.