Nuts and Bolts Party Mix is an old-timey recipe that can keep an army ‘snack happy’. Improved with a few more seasonings and so easy to make.
Do you remember ever putting your hands into a mountain of flavored cereals and nuts when you were at parties? I do! In fact, I remember making it with my mom.
Just mixing it with your hands before the seasonings were added was fun in itself.
I think I remember mom doing the mixing with the added flavorings because I can also remember some going over the side of the bowl as it was getting tossed.
So many great cereals and nuts are included. You can switch up the nuts if you like, just make sure you keep the same measurements so that the balance is correct between the sauce and mix.
You know how I mentioned this is an old-timey recipe? I don’t mean the 80’s or 60’s even. It’s from the 50’s and it was always on hand at every get-together, Especially sports games.
Nuts and Bolts Party Mix Recipe Tips
You can go into any store and find vegan versions of the original Chex cereals. There is one that is a multi-grain chex square that would work perfectly for the Wheat Chex.
Cheerios has a vegan alternative also. Just look for oat cereals and there will be one sitting there.
I got all of my ingredients at Sprouts but I feel sure any Trader Joe’s and all natural food stores will have a good assortment.
Don’t forget the vegan version of Worcestershire sauce too. Of course, peanuts and pretzel’s are always good to go.
Another fun finger food that is very popular on the blog is Pesto Tortilla Rollups! It takes only minutes and you won’t believe how tasty they are. Check ’em out!
Get out the biggest bowl you’ve got and start mixing. If you’ve got a large roasting pan that’s even better as it will save you from cleaning an extra bowl.
You can keep Nuts and Bolts Party Mix gluten-free too. Just use your favorite cereal that has large pieces like chex and you’ll be fine. Not sweet though, of course.
The taste is savory and it just happens to have all of the flavors that kids like too.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Nuts and Bolts Party Mix
- 32 ounces peanuts roasted, salted (2 pounds)
- 12 ounces wheat chex type of cereal, I used multi grain
- 6 ounces rice chex type of cereal
- 1- ounces oat cereal similar to Cheerios
- 11 ounces pretzel sticks
- 1 cup dairy free butter such as Earth Balance, melted
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce - vegan version
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the over to 250°F.
- Mix nuts, cereals and pretzels together in a roasting pan.
- Mix the Worcestershire sauce and seasonings in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pour sauce over the cereal mix.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Bake at 250°F for 2 hours.
- Stir carefully every 15 minutes.