I have loved these type of cookies since I was a little girl. It was later that I learned that they are called Mexican Wedding Cookies. When I started grocery shopping for myself I saw them in that long pink box where I could actually buy them. Since I only knew how to make Enchiladas and French Toast, in those days, it made me very happy.
Now many years after that – I have learned that there are versions of the same cookies from Russia, India, Germany, Croatia and I am sure many many more countries. You see? It is a really good cookie!
I hope you get to try this recipe because it really is rewarding and is delicious enough to be named after a very special day.
Mexican Wedding Cookie Balls
Mexican Wedding Cookies simplicity makes them accessible to everyone - right out of their own oven.
- Cream the vegan butter and the 1/2 cup of organic powdered sugar with a hand mixer.
- It takes a little while to get it light and fluffy and I do this at medium speed.
- Stir in both of the extracts.
Mix in the flour and ground almonds, salt and stir until smooth.
- Chill for one hour.
- Form into 1"balls - I use a small cookie scoop.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 300• for 35 minutes.
Transfer to a rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Roll cookies in powdered sugar.
- Let cool completely.
- Serve or refrigerate or freeze.
- If serving later you may need to re-roll in powdered sugar right before serving.
- You will definitely need to re-roll after freezing. Nothing wrong with that. Ha!
Mexican Wedding Cookies will become a family favorite!