Everything’s sexy with spices. At least that is how I feel and I can have spicy almost every night of the week. Mexican Cassoulet is a really easy dish to make especially when you add Chipotle Meatless Sausage. The spicy is already packed inside.
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package Field Roast Chipotle Sausage sliced in 1/2"-3/4" slices
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 2 cans organic kidney beans Keep the liquid. So, drain the beans but keep the liquid.
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the onion until it becomes translucent. About 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the onion from the skillet.
- Add the meatless sausage slices and brown on both sides.
- Add all of the ingredients including the bean liquid but NOT the beans to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to medium and cook the liquid down by about half.
- At this point you can turn this into a stew as in the photo below by adding 1 cup vegetable broth.
- Add the beans and heat through.
- IF FREEZING:
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Package in rigid sided containers as defined in my article http://veganinthefreezer.com/preparing-food-for-the-freezer
- TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
- Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator overnight because it is a pretty solid mass and will take longer to defrost.
- The night of serving -
- Put all in a large saucepan and heat through. You can add more broth if you think it is too thick.
- Ready to serve.