Meatless Tetrazzini has a creamy white sauce made from scratch. There are easy instructions so that everyone can recreate this wonderful Italian style meal.
Meatless Tetrazzini has been a staple in our family for years. It has a creamy white sauce that you make from scratch.
I’m not sure where I originally got this recipe but it very well may be a spin-off from a Betty Crocker recipe. That is how I learned to cook – from that red cookbook.
Come to think of it I also used recipes on the backs of cans and packages. Anyway, it has been floating around in my head for years.
Guests and family have all enjoyed Meatless Tetrazzini and I would like to pass the recipe on to you.
It starts with a basic roux and then when additional ingredients are added the flavors become delicious. It’s a wonderful Italian style meal especially when served with crusty bread and a salad.
Meatless Tetrazzini Casserole
- 4 tablespoons dairy free butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk - up to 1 1/2 cups can be used
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 16 ounces spaghetti, package - whole wheat would be great too
- 1 cup dairy free shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil or butter a glass casserole dish. This would do one dish 9" x 13" or do two or three smaller ones. I do the three small ones and freeze two for the future.
- Break the spaghetti into small pieces before cooking. I break into halves or thirds.
- In a large saucepan add enough water to generously cover the spaghetti.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- When it comes to a boil add one Tablespoon of salt to the water. This is important for the spaghetti to get some seasoning.
- Add the spaghetti to the boiling water and cook as directed on the package.
- Drain the spaghetti, when it is done, and set aside.
Make the roux and sauce:
- In a large saucepan, over low heat, melt your vegan butter.
- When the butter is melted add the 5 Tablespoons of flour. Stir over low heat for a couple of minutes to cook the flour mixture.
- Add 1 cup of soy milk and the vegetable broth. Cook to a boil but stir so it doesn't burn. As soon as it comes to a boil turn the heat down to low. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- The sauce will thicken with the addition of the 'cheese'.
- Add the mozzarella 'cheese' and stir to melt.
- If it seems too thick at this point add some more milk - 1/4th cup at a time.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and stir until the sauce is well combined.
- Pour into your prepared casserole dish or dishes.
- These will keep in your refrigerator for three days.
- TO BAKE NOW:
- Cover the top of the casserole with foil and bake in a preheated over at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Take off the foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy with a salad, Italian bread and some wine.
Freeze in one of the defined steps in my article [ How to Prepare Food for the Freezer TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING: Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator overnight because it is a pretty solid mass and will take longer to defrost.
The night of serving -
Cover the top of the casserole with foil and bake in a preheated over at 350° for 30 minutes.
Take off the foil and bake another 10 minutes.