Loaded Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a complete meal with even more veggies and spices added. Quick to prepare and keeps great in the fridge or freezer.
How about a big fat Chickpea Salad Sandwich along with a nice refreshing glass of iced tea? I think I can’t finish this post right now because that sounds too good. Be right back!
Well, that was a great idea! The sandwich really hit the spot and tea always goes perfectly with a lunch like this. Let me tell you about the sandwich which turned out to be an evolution. It was going to be a blend with Italian Dressing but I do that quite a bit already so I thought ‘let’s do something new and get really creative’.
My cabinets are usually pretty full and it makes it really fun when I am trying to brainstorm new recipes. When browsing through my cupboards for some inspiration I saw the beans and figured those would be a good mash up. Love the addition of dijon and paprika too.
All of sudden stuff is coming out of the refrigerator and with a little of this and that there was a delicious looking bean salad spread. Don’t hold back and pile it on some nice fresh wheat bread with layers of avocado.
Loaded Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 2 cans 15 ounces each, chickpeas
- 2 ounce cans 15 each pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise, add another tablespoon if you like it better that way
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, you can also add another tablespoon of dijon mustard too
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain all of the cans of beans.
- Rinse the beans.
- In a large bowl add the beans and mash. I like to leave mine a bit chunky and I hardly mashed them. They aren't crunchy just chunky.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- You can make your sandwiches now with any of your favorite toppings. It is already really flavorful so I only added some fresh baby spinach and avocado slices.
Recipe NotesYou can also refrigerate the mixture up to 4 days. This makes 6 big sandwiches like the ones in the photo so you might want to freeze some of the mixture.IF FREEZING: You may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer. When you would like to use your chickpea salad mixture just put it in the fridge to defrost overnight. You can also heat it in the microwave until defrosted. The sandwich is really good warm too!