Loaded Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a complete meal with even more veggies and spices added. Quick to prepare and keeps great in the fridge or freezer.
How about a big fat Chickpea Salad Sandwich along with a nice refreshing glass of iced tea? I think I can’t finish this post right now because that sounds too good. Be right back!
Well, that was a great idea! The sandwich really hit the spot and tea always goes perfectly with a lunch like this.
Let me tell you about the sandwich which turned out to be an evolution. It was going to be a blend with Italian Dressing but I do that quite a bit already so I thought ‘let’s do something new and get really creative’.
My cabinets are usually pretty full and it makes it really fun when I am trying to brainstorm new recipes. When browsing through my cupboards for some inspiration and saw all the beans I knew those would be a good mash up.
Love the addition of dijon and paprika too. An extra bit of tang from the mustard and just a tiny bit of heated spice from the paprika.
All of a sudden stuff is coming out of the refrigerator and with a little of this and that there was a delicious looking bean salad spread. Don’t hold back and pile it on some nice fresh wheat bread with layers of avocado.
What are some Hints for making Chickpea Salad Sandwich?
Use both of the beans if you can. Pinto beans and chickpeas mixed together are a great combo.
Buy organic cans of beans. They are so easy to find and at very affordable prices.
You can make your own vegan almond mayonnaise because it is so very good but you can also buy some creamy vegan mayonnaise at the grocery store.
Smoked paprika would be fantastic in this too. It actually does give a smoky flavor or you can stick with good old-fashioned paprika.
Dijon mustard blends so well with all of these ingredients but, again, if you’d like to get even more tangy sharpness then you can switch to the bright yellow prepared mustard.
What tools do you need to make this delicious sandwich?
- Large bowl
- Can Opener
- Large Spoon
- Fork for mashing or a potato masher
- Measuring Spoons
- Too easy 🙂
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Loaded Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 30 ounces chickpeas 2 cans 15 ounces each
- 30 ounces pinto beans 2 cans 15 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise - add another tablespoon if you like it better that way
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard - you can also add another tablespoon of dijon mustard too
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice - optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain all of the cans of beans.
- Rinse the beans.
- In a large bowl add the beans and mash. I like to leave mine a bit chunky and I hardly mashed them. They aren't crunchy just chunky.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- You can make your sandwiches now with any of your favorite toppings. It is already really flavorful so I only added some fresh baby spinach and avocado slices.
Can You Freeze this Chickpea Salad Sandwich Mix?
You can also refrigerate the mixture up to 4 days. This makes 6 big sandwiches like the ones in the photo so you might want to freeze some of the mixture.
You may freeze the mixture in a rigid sided container for up to 4 months. When you would like to use your chickpea salad mixture just put it in the fridge to defrost overnight.
You can also heat it in the microwave until defrosted.
The sandwich is really good warm too!
I have to show you another sandwich on the blog that I think you’ll love. It’s a Roasted Vegetable Sandwich! As you can see there is so much flavor and it just drips with goodness.