Lentil Burger Sliders are such a treat. Little and easy to eat with so much deliciousness – you will want at least three. Tiny bits of carrot and onion too.
Lentil Burger Sliders are such a treat. Little and easy to eat with so much deliciousness that you will want at least three. The patties are not just lentils but there are also tiny bits of carrot and onion. I think there can never be too many sandwiches that are simple to make and tasty to everybody. These can be made in the larger burger size too but it is fun to serve them on small soft dinner rolls. I added some sliced cornichon pickles and sauteed cremini mushrooms. They are fantastic!
Lentil Burger Sliders
- 1 cup raw lentils or 2-1/4 cup cooked lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup broth for assembly, this liquid will come out of the cooking broth if cooking from scratch
- 1 onionfinely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced or pulsed to small
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup fine instant oatmeal
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats, finely chopped or pulsed
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 egg substitutes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- If cooking lentils from scratch:
- Put 2 cups water, 2 cups vegetable broth and 1 cup of lentils in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the broth mixture and drain the rest of the liquid off of the lentils.
- Set the lentils aside (or the canned lentils measuring 2-1/4 cups).
- Mix the egg replacer and water and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and saute 10 minutes.
- Add the carrot and sauté 10 more minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients including the reserved 1/4 cup vegetable broth.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Make into 16 small patties.
- Fry in oil on each side and serve on small soft dinner rolls.
- Any of your favorite condiments will go perfect but my recipe of Caribbean Bean Sauce is really great with these sliders.
Wrap each patty in plastic wrap or flash freeze before wrapping as described in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator a few hours before frying - about 2 hours. They don't have to be completely defrosted, but almost. In a large skillet. Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil and fry the patties on each side.
Serve on your favorite bun with your favorite toppings.