Lentil Burger Sliders are such a treat. Little and easy to eat with so much deliciousness – you will want at least three. Tiny bits of carrot too!
Lentil Burger Sliders are different and a sandwich that everyone will enjoy. I should say sandwiches since everyone will want more than one.
The patties are not just lentils but there are also tiny bits of carrot and onion and more. I think there can never be too many sandwiches that are simple to make and tasty for all ages. It is only a bonus when they are warm and plant based.
I have to tell you what a challenge it was trying to get that tall stack of sliders in the last picture. They would slowly start to lean and down the camera went – quickly.
It happened a few times. Straighten, grab the camera. Straighten, grab the camera. Finally! Eureka. Now I could eat them. A nice bonus. 🙂
These can be made in the larger burger size too but it is fun to serve them on small soft dinner rolls. I layered these with fresh onion chunks and pretty green mixed lettuce.
They would be classic with sliced cornichon pickles and sautéd cremini mushrooms too. So many angles and so much pleasure. They are fantastic!
Lentil Burger Sliders
Lentil Burger Sliders are little and easy to eat and you'll want at least three!
- 1 cup raw lentils or 2 1/4 cup cooked lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup broth for assembly, this liquid will come out of the cooking broth if cooking from scratch
- 1/2 cup onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot , finely diced or pulsed to small
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup fine instant oatmeal
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats , finely chopped or pulsed
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 egg substitutes , I love chia meal eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 dinner rolls
- If cooking lentils from scratch:
- Put 2 cups water, 2 cups vegetable broth and 1 cup of lentils in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the broth mixture and drain the rest of the liquid off of the lentils.
- Set the lentils aside (or the canned lentils measuring 2-1/4 cups).
- Mix the egg replacer and water and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and saute 10 minutes.
- Add the carrot and sauté 10 more minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients including the reserved 1/4 cup vegetable broth.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Make into 16 small patties.
- Fry in oil on each side and serve on small soft dinner rolls.
- Any of your favorite condiments will go perfect but my recipe of Caribbean Bean Sauce is really great with these sliders.
Wrap each patty in plastic wrap or flash freeze before wrapping as described in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator a few hours before frying - about 2 hours. They don't have to be completely defrosted, but almost. In a large skillet. Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil and fry the patties on each side.
Serve on your favorite bun with your favorite toppings.
I’ve been making these little lentil patties for years. Not one ingredient has changed and that feels good. When you pass on a recipe to someone it’s a nice feeling to know that it will stand up to many tastes for many years.
It was fun when sliders first became the little darling at parties and restaurants everywhere. So cute and so tiny and you got to have a line-up of them.
Sure, they started as burgers but it didn’t take me long to get the old plant based mindset working on a new recipe. Lentils seemed like the perfect choice and cooking them in vegetable broth added that much more flavor.
You will have so much fun cooking these little gems and everyone around will have fun eating them.