Bean Dip seems to be an American go to when it comes to throwing a party. Everyone loves it and this one adds a little bit more – some spice. It is spicy from chili powder and there is also some delicious creamy vegan cheese added so it seems more Mexican in flavor. It is very easy and fast to make. Since it also keeps great in the fridge you can prepare it a couple of days before the party and you will have the dip covered. If you are serving two dips you might want to go in a complete opposite direction and also make my Bell Pepper Bruschetta Dip. They would really compliment each other.
Hot Pinto Bean Dip
- Put the drained beans and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Cover with a plastic wrap that is microwaveable safe.
- This is my chance to tell you about this plastic cover I have found in the supermarkets. It is called CoverMate. Microwaveable safe and washable. Elastic edge so it stays put in the microwave and the refrigerator. Enough said but here's a photo. Yep, I really like it.
- Heat the beans in the microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- The beans mash easier after heating.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher. It takes a little while. I will also go in and use the back of a fork too.
- You can do this in a food processor too but be careful not to go too far and make it like the consistency of baby food. Not good for this dip.
- Add all the spices, the tomato and the complete package of the 'nacho cheese'.
- Stir well.
- Recover bowl and heat in microwave for a minute or two stirring in between minutes.
- Again, stir well and serve with your favorite chips or veggies such as cauliflower, carrots and celery.
- This is a nice little individual serving shown in the photo above.
- IF FREEZING:
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Package in rigid sided containers as defined in my article http://veganinthefreezer.com/preparing-food-for-the-freezer
- I have put this batch in freezer jars.
- TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
- Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator from 6 to 8 hours.
- When serving -
- Cover and put back in the microwave and heat for about a minute. Depending on the size bowl you are heating.
- Ready to serve.