Everyone loves a good cookie, but these hot chocolate chip cookies with marshmallows are the BEST! Soft and gooey on the inside, with an incredible chocolate flavor. Like all of my recipes, they are vegan, gluten-free, non-dairy-free, and amazingly tasty!
They have a double dose of dark chocolate goodness from both hot chocolate powder and semisweet chocolate chips! The recipe is easy to make — perfect for Christmas gatherings or holidays!
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Time-Saving: A delectable dessert does not have to take up all of your time, especially during the busiest season of the year. The preparation time is only ten minutes, and the baking time is only eight to ten minutes.
- All-time Favorite: Everybody loves chocolate. I've never met someone who doesn't like chocolate for dessert. These hot chocolate chip marshmallow cookies will undoubtedly be a new favorite for anyone that tries them.
- It’s Hot Cocoa In A Cookie: This cookie tastes just like drinking a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows.
Equipment Needed To Make Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Measuring cups (wet and dry ingredients)
- Measuring spoons
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment paper or silicone mat
- 1 Medium mixing bowl
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- Electric Mixer
- Cookie dough scoop or tablespoon
Ingredients For Your Hot Chocolate Cookies
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vegan hot chocolate mix
- Unsalted vegan butter
- Brown sugar packed
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Vanilla extract
- Vegan chocolate chips, milk or semi-sweet
- Vegan marshmallow bits
How To Make Vegan Hot Cocoa Cookies With Marshmallows
The first thing you’ll need to do to make these delicious hot chocolate cookies is preheat your oven. While your oven is getting hot, dump your flour, baking powder, salt, and hot cocoa mix in a bowl and combine. Cream your brown sugar and vegan butter together in a separate bowl. Once that’s completed, add your vanilla and applesauce to the creamed butter and mix. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and add in your chocolate chips and marshmallow pieces until well incorporated. Scoop the dough onto a baking sheet and bake!
What to Serve/Pair with Your Vegan Hot Chocolate Cookies
Vegan hot cocoa cookies are the ideal accompaniment to a hot or cold beverage. For an afternoon snack or before bedtime, I enjoy these cookies with a warm glass of almond milk.
I normally accompany this with a cup of coffee or a glass of iced coffee as an afternoon snack. The coffee's sharpness balances the sweetness of these vegan hot chocolate cookies.
On hot summer days, I crumble these vegan hot chocolate chip cookies and use them as toppings for my vanilla or chocolate ice cream. The delicate texture of the ice cream contrasts beautifully with the gooey and crunchy texture of the cookies.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Nuts: To give your cookie dough an extra crunch, throw in some chopped nuts. Cashews and almonds are my preferred nuts since they go well with chocolate and marshmallow.
- Chocolate Drizzle: Coat the cookies with melted chocolate. Make chocolate drizzle by simply microwaving the chocolate chips (white, semi-sweet, or dark) in 30-second intervals for 2 minutes, stirring in between.
- Decoration: Sprinkle some crushed pecans or cocoa powder, or mini vegan chocolate chips on top of your hot cocoa cookies
- Marshmallow: Instead of marshmallow bits, use a big marshmallow at the center of your vegan chocolate chip cookies. You can do this by taking the cookies out of the oven. In the center of each cookie, place a halved marshmallow. Bake for another 3-4 minutes. The marshmallow will melt, leaving a melted marshmallow center in your cookies. You can also use mini marshmallows in place of the bits.
- Flour: Oat flour or almond flour can be used in place of regular flour if you want a gluten-free option.
- Chocolate Chips: Use dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, or even white chocolate chips!
How To Reheat & Store Hot Chocolate Cookies
Best Way To Store Vegan Hot Cocoa Cookies
To keep these vegan hot chocolate cookies fresh, store them in an airtight container. Keep them out of direct sunlight. Make sure they're kept in a dry, cool place in your kitchen.
How Long Will Hot Chocolate Cookies Last?
If they are kept at room temperature, they should remain fresh for three to four days. They can, however, be stored in the refrigerator for up to seven days.
Can I Freeze Vegan Hot Chocolate Cookies?
They can be frozen, although I don't advocate freezing marshmallow delights. They become extremely hard and brittle, making it difficult to chew your cookies.
Vegan Hot Chocolate Cookies FAQs
What if I can't find marshmallows?
If you can't find vegan marshmallows, you can use candied orange peel instead. It will add a wonderful citrus flavor to your cookies!
Which brand has vegan marshmallows?
Dandies brand has vegan marshmallows. They are available online or in the vegan section of a supermarket.
Can I use cocoa powder instead of the hot cocoa mix?
Yes! If you don't have any hot cocoa mix on hand, you can use a scant cup of unsweetened cocoa powder in its place.
Can you freeze the cookie dough?
Yes, you can definitely freeze the cookie dough. I recommend freezing your cookie dough in scoops on a baking sheet. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe zip-top bag or airtight container and bake them later.
Other Cookie Recipes You're Sure To Love
Vegan Hot Chocolate Cookies with Marshmallows
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup hot chocolate mix
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips, milk or semi-sweet
- ½ cup marshmallow bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and hot cocoa mix.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until well combined and fluffy.
- Add applesauce and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Gradually add dry mixture and beat until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and mallow bits.
- Scoop dough using a cookie dough scoop or tablespoon and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.