Homemade Vegan Peanut Butter Cups is one of the most sought after candy recipes and is right here and made vegan. A chocolate and peanut butter cups recipe at an affordable price.
Are peanut butter cups your favorite candy? It is number one or two in my world. Depends on how I'm feeling at the moment. Peppermint Patties are my other favorite.
Let me know in the comments what your favorites are and I'll make them vegan and easy right here on the blog. Check out these Copycat Recipes to see some other goodies that may already be on your list.
This vegan peanut butter cups recipe has 5 ingredients. I added chocolate bar pieces and some peanut butter into the outside melted chocolate mixture so that the candies have the best flavor ever. They taste just like the original too.
Check out the ingredients right below here.
- Peanut butter is the classic nut butter that is used. I often use natural peanut butter.
- Chocolate chips using semi-sweet or dark chocolate will work. Your choice. Just make sure they are vegan like the Enjoy Life brand.
- Softened dairy-free butter mixes in with the peanut butter and sugar to help it harden.
- Organic powdered sugar sweetens the peanut butter layer and makes these homemade candies taste like the real deal.
- Salt gives a little bit of extra oompf to the peanut butter layer. Especially if you're using unsalted peanut butter.
How to make homemade peanut butter cups
- Get out your muffin tin and line each cup with a cupcake liner. Pick a color to help celebrate the occasion.
- You can actually make anywhere from 12 to 18 of these candy cups. The difference is in the size of the muffin tins that you use. There are mini muffin sizes and a regular muffin size.
- In a medium bowl, combine ½ cup of the peanut butter, softened dairy-free butter, powdered sugar, and salt until smooth. I use a hand mixer.
- Coarsely chop the chocolate bar to help it melt evenly with the chocolate chips.
- In a microwave-safe bowl add the chocolate chips, chopped chocolate, and the other ½ cup peanut butter.
- Heat for 1 minute and then stir. Continue heating at 10-20 second increments. stirring after each heating. Stop before the chocolate is completely melted as it will continue to melt itself after removed from the microwave. This will also protect you from possibly accidentally burning it.
- Stir again after it is removed until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Use a cookie dough scoop to add the melted chocolate to the cupcake liners.
- Divide the dough into how many candy cups you'd like to make. Roll them in a loose ball and then smush them down to lay on top of the bottom layer of chocolate.
- Add the remaining chocolate on top.
- Place in the refrigerator to set.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
After they have hardened in the refrigerator you can take them out and leave them with no problem.
Yes, that is really easy. Roll the peanut butter filling into balls and then dip into the melted chocolate. Place them on a cooling rack to harden.
Yes, you can but a mixture of semi-sweet and dark chocolate would be more authentic in flavor. But, having said that, they will still be so so very good.
I like to use a bar of dark chocolate to counterbalance the semi-sweet chocolate chips. That makes the coating taste more like the original too. You can, of course, use any chocolate flavor that you like in candy bars.
Want more vegan chocolate specialties?
- You can't get any more special than Mint Cookie Truffles. You could even use Girl Scout thin mint cookies in this recipe.
- Vegan Buckeye Candy tastes just like the original classic candy.
- Change out the color of the sprinkles to make these easy Chocolate Crockpot Candy any time of the year.
- Vegan Cookie Dough Truffles are so pretty and taste like they were bought at the finest candy shoppe.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Your opinion means a lot to me and if you'd like to leave a comment and possibly a star rating I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter - divided ½ cup each
- 1 ½ tablespoons dairy-free butter
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 6 ounces chocolate bar - coarsely chopped for melting
- Add cupcake liners to a muffin tin and set aside. You can make anywhere from 12 to 18 peanut butter cups.
- In a medium bowl, combine ½ cup peanut butter only, dairy-free butter, powdered sugar. and sal. Beat until smooth.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips, chocolate bar pieces, and the remaining peanut butter.
- Heat for 1 minute, then stir. Continue heating for 10-20 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating and stopping just before the chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Using a cookie dough scoop, add chocolate into paper liners.
- Top each with about 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture.
- Add remaining chocolate on top.
- Place in refrigerator to set.