Healthy Date Monkey Bread has bran cereal, dates and pecans with a drizzling of maple syrup all over the top. So friggin’ good. Have some fun!
Healthy Date Monkey Bread is made in a bundt cake pan so that it is even prettier. And … how can food be so entertaining. Even the name is fun.
Picking off one of those yummy little rolls with the anticipation of taking a sweet bite is wonderful. There is bran cereal, dates and pecans with a drizzling of maple syrup all over the top.
Just follow the steps in creating your homemade Healthy Date Monkey Bread and it will become an occasion.
Healthy Date Monkey Bread
Healthy Date Monkey Bread has bran cereal, dates and pecans with a drizzling of maple syrup all over the top.
- 1 cup bran cereal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup dairy-free butter, melted
- 3 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking yeast - 2 packages
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Flax Seed Meal mixed with 4 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup Dates - chopped up in small pieces
- 1 cup Pecans - chopped
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- Have a candy thermometer on hand.
- Oil a 6 Cup Bundt Pan
- Mix the flax seed meal and water and set aside so that it can gel a bit.
- Boil the water and add the bran and mix. Set aside to let it settle to 125 degrees to 130 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix 2 cups of the flour with the yeast, sugar and salt.
- Mix in the warm bran and water mixture.
- Add the dates and enough flour to make a soft dough. You will probably use all the flour. Don't worry if you don't.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
- Add a little bit of flour as you roll and knead if it is sticky.
- You will see some date pieces all over the dough and that is fine.
- Make a ball with the dough, cover with a clean dish towel and let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and then half again. Make 5 balls out of each of the 4 divisions so that you have 20 balls.
- Dip each ball in the melted butter and place in the bundt pan. Place each ball around the bottom layer.
- Sprinkle half of the chopped pecans on the balls.
- Deliberately build the next layer around the edge of the pan. This will keep the shape of the bundt pan.
- Sprinkle the rest of the pecans.
- The photo below shows the bread after it rose and before it is baked.
- Cover the pan with a clean dish cloth and let rise in a warm area for 60 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and slowly pour the maple syrup all over the cake while it is still in the pan.
- Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely on the wire rack. You can pour more maple syrup over the top of the Monkey Bread but it is not necessary. It all depends on your sweet tooth. The syrup soaks in.
Wonderful fresh but it also freezes really well. If you chooses to freeze please use one of my methods as described in my article
Preparing Food for the Freezer