It's time to sink your teeth into something delicious! If you're a fan of vegan desserts, these vegan toffee bars are sure to tantalize your taste buds and satisfy that sweet tooth. Incredibly decadent yet surprisingly easy to make, this foolproof toffee recipe will quickly become one of your go-to recipes for occasions both big and small. Not only do they have all the traditional toffee flavor packed into each bite, but they also have a generous helping of plant-based ingredients that come together perfectly in this scrumptious treat.
Why You'll Love This Vegan Toffee Recipe
Indulgent- With rolled oats, coconut sugar, and a walnut and chocolate topping, these toffee bars are the perfect sweet treat.
Easy To Make- 15 minutes of prep and 20 minutes of baking time, vegan toffee bars can be on the table in no time.
Kid-Friendly- The whole family will love these vegan treats!
Simple Ingredients- You most likely have all the ingredients for these vegan toffee bars in your pantry and refrigerator.
What Are Homemade Toffee Bars?
Toffee bars are a classic dessert that is typically made with butter, sugar, and other ingredients like nuts and dark chocolate. This vegan version takes the traditional recipe and gives it a plant-based makeover using substitutes such as vegan butter and maple syrup. The result is an equally delicious treat that even non-vegans will love!
- 9x13 Baking Pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Saucepan or Microwave-Safe Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Parchment Paper (Optional)
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
For The Base
Rolled Oats- Act as a binder for the bars and add texture.
Graham Crackers- Creates a crunchy base for the bars and adds sweetness.
Coconut Sugar- Adds a sweet caramel-like flavor.
Dairy-Free Butter- Vegan butter substitutes traditional butter and helps to bind the ingredients together.
Maple Syrup- Adds sweetness without being overly sugary.
Vanilla Extract- Enhances the flavor of the bars.
Sea Salt- Balances out the sweetness.
For The Topping
Chopped Walnuts- Adds crunch and a nutty flavor to the vegan toffee.
Vegan Chocolate Chips- Creates a delicious chocolate topping.
How To Make Vegan Toffee Bars
To start making toffee bars, preheat the oven to 400F and lightly grease or use parchment paper to line your baking dish. Next, carefully stir the oats, crushed graham crackers, sugar, vegan butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients well by hand. Then, pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press it in an even layer, pressing firmly into all of the corners.
After baking for around 18 minutes, melt half of the chocolate chips either using a stove or a microwave-safe bowl. Remove from heat, then, sprinkle nuts into the melted chocolate and stir. Once you take out the pan from the oven, immediately pour the walnuts and chocolate evenly on the top and quickly sprinkle chocolate chips over it.
Make sure to wait for the pan to cool completely before you start cutting it into squares. Then, you can serve your sweet and delicious vegan toffee bars. Enjoy!
Popular Substitutions & Additions
If you'd like to give this delicious vegan toffee recipe a unique twist, there are plenty of swaps and additions that you can make. For instance:
- Use your favorite type of chopped nuts in place of the chopped walnuts. You could use chopped pecans or chopped almonds for added crunch. Alternativily, leave the nuts out completely to make this a nut-free recipe.
- Switch up the type of melted chocolate you use for something different, like vegan dark chocolate or white chocolate chips.
- Replace the coconut sugar with brown sugar, or organic granulated sugar.
- Add toppings like coconut flakes, marshmallows, flaky sea salt, or dried fruit!
- Use coconut oil in place of vegan butter.
- Line your baking dish with parchment paper instead of greasing it.
Can You Freeze Vegan Toffee Bars?
Yes, you can easily freeze these vegan toffee bars and enjoy them later. Simply wrap each bar individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place them all in a freezer-safe and airtight container or bag before popping them into the freezer. When you're ready to enjoy your frozen vegan toffee bars, simply remove them from the freezer and thaw them at room temperature for about 20 minutes!
Vegan Toffee Bar FAQs
How do I know when the vegan toffee bars are done baking?
Your toffee bars should be golden brown and slightly firm to the touch. You can also insert a toothpick into the center of the pan to check if it comes out clean. This indicates that your bars are ready!
Are these vegan toffee bars gluten-free?
As written, this delicious recipe is not gluten-free; however, you can easily swap out the rolled oats for a gluten-free version to make it gluten-free.
Can I use different nuts in this vegan toffee bar recipe?
Absolutely! Feel free to substitute the walnuts with pecans, almonds, cashews, or your favorite type of nut. You can even mix and match different types of chopped nuts for an extra special touch.
How long can the vegan toffee be stored?
The vegan toffee bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. If you would like to store them for longer, you can keep them in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or freeze them as mentioned above.
Vegan Toffee Bars
For the Base:
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- 2 cups graham crackers - crushed
- 1 cup coconut sugar - you can use packed brown sugar too.
- ¾ cup dairy free butter - softened
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
For the Topping
- ½ cup walnuts - chopped
- 18 ounces chocolate chips - divided 6 ounces and 12 ounces
- Lightly butter a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- In a Large Mixing Bowl- combine the oats, graham crackers, sugar, vegan butter, maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Mix well by hand.
- Dump into the prepared pan.
- Press evenly and firmly into all corners.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.
- Melt 6 ounces of the chocolate chips in a saucepan (you can use a microwave also) ans then stir in the walnuts.
- Take the pan out of the over and evenly distribute the walnut and chocolate mixture across the top.
- Immediately sprinkle the rest of the 12 ounces of chocolate chips across the top.
- The heat will soften the chocolate within 5 to 10 minutes and it will attach to the hot base leaving the nice chips intact.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into squares and store in the refrigerator.
They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning. Just put them on a plate for an hour or two and enjoy.
Yes Beth. I fixed the recipe and thanks for the heads up!