Healthier English Toffee Squares have all the flavors and layers of the original but also has a thick base of sweet oats and graham crackers then all is topped with chocolate and nuts.
English Toffee is a hard, chewy candy that has layers of toffee, chocolate and nuts. It can be round as in Almond Roca or, more commonly, it can be in a slab where you break off chunks.
It's found all over the United States especially in little tourist towns. And most importantly Disneyland. Oh, geez! Don't let me get side tracked!
Back to reality. Baking is simple and a real pleasure. Especially if you aren't really strict and allow yourself to take a taste of the batter or filling during the process. I mean, you deserve a little instant gratification. Right?
You actually get to get your fingers into this one as you press the bottom mixture into an even later. It's even fun. The chocolate is as easy as sprinkling. It's so easy.
I know some people are afraid of baking because it involves measuring and sometimes, when the recipe is involved, it almost becomes a science.
Rising can be tricky especially in vegan recipes but this recipe is foolproof and it goes pretty darn fast. Read the directions and you'll see what I mean.
This truly is a dessert and would go great with coffee or dairy-free milk. Whatever your mood you will be satisfied. It's good enough for company and family too so share a little.
Healthier English Toffee has the flavors and the layers of the original English Toffee but it is changed in a remarkable way. A base of chewy sweetened oats and graham crackers are topped with traditional chocolate and nuts.
The candy becomes a bar and you become a baking star.
Healthier English Toffee Squares
For the Base:
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups graham crackers - crushed
- 1 cup coconut sugar - you can use packed brown sugar too.
- 3/4 cup dairy free butter - softened
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the Topping
- 1/2 cup walnuts - chopped
- 18 ounces chocolate chips - divided 6 ounces and 12 ounces
- Lightly butter a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- In a Large Mixing Bowl- combine the oats, graham crackers, sugar, vegan butter, maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Mix well by hand.
- Dump into the prepared pan.
- Press evenly and firmly into all corners.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.
- Melt 6 ounces of the chocolate chips in a saucepan (you can use a microwave also) ans then stir in the walnuts.
- Take the pan out of the over and evenly distribute the walnut and chocolate mixture across the top.
- Immediately sprinkle the rest of the 12 ounces of chocolate chips across the top.
- The heat will soften the chocolate within 5 to 10 minutes and it will attach to the hot base leaving the nice chips intact.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into squares and store in the refrigerator.
They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning. Just put them on a plate for an hour or two and enjoy.