This Hawaiian Rolls Recipe makes perfectly soft and fluffy rolls. A few staple ingredients and using the Instant Pot to proof the dough makes it super easy! These Vegan Dinner Rolls will be a hit with the whole family.
How would you like Instant Pot dinner rolls that are simple enough to make for a weeknight dinner and impressive enough to make for a holiday meal!
Well, now you have it! These Vegan Dinner Rolls will be a hit with the whole family.
This is actually a copycat recipe. You probably already figured out that they are a copycat for the King's Hawaiian Rolls recipe.
Rolls was the only way you could buy them in the old days. Just as rolls. Now they have bread loaves too and the world is good.
Table of Contents
Only a few simple ingredients to make homemade Hawaiian rolls recipe. You probably have them all on hand!
- Water is warmed to 100°F. You can warm in the microwave or on the stove, but make sure to give it a swirl with the thermometer to get an accurate reading. The water should be warm, but not too hot.
- Organic Granulated Sugar
- Active Dry Yeast - You’ll need one packet or you can measure out 2 ¼ teaspoons of yeast from a jar.
- Oil is to keep the dough from drying out as it rises.
- All Purpose Flour
How to make vegan dinner rolls
- Make the Dough: Combine the sugar, water, and yeast in the bowl of your stand mixer and allow to sit until it foams. Add the flour and use the dough hook to mix until a dough ball forms.
- Proof Dough in Instant Pot: Add oil to your Instant Pot liner and add the ball of dough. Cover Instant Pot with plastic wrap and use the yogurt mode for 40 minutes.
- Knead the dough every ten minutes - the dough will double in size.
- Form Dough into Rolls: Divide dough into 9 parts and roll each part into a smooth roll.
- Place rolls in a greased 8x8 pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let them rest for 15 minutes while the oven preheats.
- Bake Rolls: Bake the rested rolls in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes. The rolls will be golden brown.
- Serve Warm or at Room Temperature
Making bread in an instant pot
The Instant Pot is a great way to proof dough faster. By setting the Instant Pot to the yogurt setting, it warms the pot to a low temperature which is ideal to help the dough rise.
In addition to proofing dough in the Instant Pot, you can also fully make bread in an Instant Pot.
Instead of making rolls, you can bake the bread dough as a loaf in the Instant Pot. Here are the easy instructions:
- Make Bread Dough: Follow the recipe and make the dough and let rise in the Instant Pot, per instructions.
- Bake Dough in Instant Pot: Line your Instant Pot liner with a piece of parchment paper and place the dough that you shaped into a loaf on the parchment.
- Seal the Instant Pot lid then cook on manual high pressure for 45 minutes followed by a 15 minute natural release.
- Optional - Toast Bread: If you want your loaf of bread to have a golden brown top, you can pop it under the oven broiler for a few minutes.
No, you don’t have to use an Instant Pot. The Instant Pot just helps the rolls rise and proof faster.
You can also let the dough rise by sitting it in a warm place until doubled in size.
Leftover homemade Hawaiian rolls will last for up to 5 days. I recommend storing the leftover rolls in the fridge for best results, but they can be stored at room temperature as well.
Yes, you can swap in quick rise yeast. The rise/proofing time will be less, so let the dough rise until it has doubled in size.
Hawaiian bread rolls serving ideas
- These soft and fluffy rolls are fabulous on their own as a side.
- You can eat them plain or slathered with dairy free butter and jam if you like.
- These rolls are also perfect for small sandwiches and sliders.
More easy yeast recipes
- Vegan Pizza Dough - Only 6 ingredients needed and you can even freeze the pizza dough for pizza night any time!
- Homemade Soft Pretzels - Super simple to make and a fun appetizer for game day.
- Pear Bread - No kneading needed for this delicious, spiced quick bread recipe!
- Vegan Focaccia Bread - Wonderful chewy texture and great used for sandwiches or served as a side to dunk in soups, stews, and sauces.
- Homemade Pita Bread - The softest and fluffiest pita bread you’ll ever have!
Hawaiian Rolls Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 2 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ cup organic granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Add the sugar, water and yeast to a bowl. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes. A layer of foam should appear.
- Add the flour and mix with a dough hook until a ball forms.
- Add the oil to the instant pot liner and coat the liner generously. Add the ball of dough.
- Cover and set to yogurt mode for 40 minutes. Knead dough every ten minutes. Dough will double in size.
- Remove the dough and divide into 9 equal parts. Roll each separate dough ball into itself forming a smooth roll.
- Place rolls in an 8 x 8 baking pan that’s been oiled.
- Cover rolls with a damp cloth and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Bake in the oven on 350°f for 15 minutes