Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies are always a favorite and these handfuls are no less desirable. An easy soft chocolate chip cookie recipe that the kids can help make too. Big and chewy and chocolaty and vegan. How fun is that!
The basis for this recipe is an old one from my mom. I just tweaked it a little to make it a bit more healthful.
A hand mixer helps the batter become light and fluffy. If you use a cookie scoop it will be easy to get large even dough balls.
Your hands will still be spotless and the cookie sheets will be full. Mmmmm, sweetness is on its way.
The Low Down on Chocolate Chips
Chocolate chips or chocolate morsels, as some companies say, have not always been easy to find for vegans.
It has become much easier lately and I think you can find vegan chips in every major grocery store now.
If you can believe it, there are even molds if you'd like to go that way and make your own chocolate chips.
Either way, this vegan easy chocolate chip cookie recipe is to die for.
Facts about Chocolate Chips and then on to Vegan Chocolate Chips
- For many years you could only find semi-sweet chocolate chips which were ALL made with milk chocolate meaning - not vegan.
- Then more and more varieties were starting to be made such as bittersweet and dark chocolate chips. Some were accidentally vegan and some were not.
- A very few years ago specific companies started making vegan chocolate chips purposefully vegan. Enjoy Life started showing up in grocery stores everywhere.
- They all tasted just like semi-sweet chocolate chips. There just wasn't any milk in them.
- Now we can buy quite a few in all depths chocolate richness although sometimes we need to go to the internet.
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
- All-purpose flour - is the traditional flour of choice and adds a nice lightness to the cookies.
- Whole wheat flour - completes the flour necessary for the recipe and adds more nutrients.
- Baking powder and baking soda - give an extra oomph to the leavening power.
- Salt - just a little bit goes a long way.
- Egg substitute to help add lightness and protein to the cookies.
- Dairy free butter - helps add the necessary liquid and also adds more flavor.
- Light brown sugar - is a rich sweet ingredient.
- Coconut sugar - adds more sweetness but helps cut down on the refined sugar.
- Vanilla extract - is a concentrated flavor that is perfect in most baked goods.
- Chocolate Chips - make everything better.
- These cookies are light in color so don't be tempted to cook longer or this won't be a soft chocolate chip cookie recipe. They'll get hard.
- You can use all coconut sugar if you'd like to cut out the refined sugar. Add a couple more tablespoons of coconut sugar though.
- You may use all all-purpose flour or all whole wheat flour. They will be a bit heavier with all whole wheat flour though.
- If some of your family likes chewy chocolate chip cookies a little trick is to put them in the refrigerator. It hardens some of the ingredients and maked them chewier.
I added extra baking soda and baking powder to the recipe even though all-purpose flour is being used. The reason is because of the whole wheat flour.
I wanted to give the mix a little in the rising department when baking.
You can use any egg substitute that you like. I almost always use chia seed meal or flaxseed meal in baking. They both add a lot of protein per tablespoon.
You can even make your cookies bigger than mine. Just make sure you don't go too thick so that they can cook.
Mine are probably as thick as you should go.
More Easy Cookie Recipes To Check Out!
- Almond Crescent Cookies - are festive year-round.
- You deserve Marbled Peanut Butter Cookies.
- Almond Butter 4 Ingredient Cookies - a so delicious and simple.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
What Do You Think?
If you take a photo of your big fat beauties I would love to see it. Follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer.
Your opinion means a lot to me and if you'd like to leave a comment and possibly a star rating I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 egg substitutes - follow the directions on your package or use 2 tablespoons chia seed meal or flax seed meal and mix with 6 tablespoons water
- 10 ounce dairy free butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup light brown sugar - packed
- 8 ounces coconut sugar
- 10 ounces chocolate chips - dairy free
- Mix the two flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the egg replacer and water together and set aside.
- To a large bowl add the softened dairy-free butter and both kinds of sugars. Mix at medium speed for about 5 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the two preprepared egg replacers and the vanilla to the butter mixture and beat at medium speed 2 more minutes.
- Add the flour mixture to this bowl and mix in gently on low speed scraping down the sides to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold in carefully.
- Use a silpat (or parchment paper) on your cookie sheet. Scoop out large scoops onto the cookie sheet. That's about 2 heaping tablespoons full for each cookie. Lightly roll them into a ball and flatten to about 2 ½ inches to 3" in diameter.
- Bake at 350• for 12 to 14 minutes. They will be light in color. If you flatten them more than bake for only 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack.