Garlic Hummus Stuffed Mini Bread Bowl Appetizers are substantial little bites and they have everything going for them. This mini bread bowl recipe is sturdy, flavorful, and the cups taste as good as they look.
I talk to my food. I hadn’t realized it as such an extreme until I actually heard myself say “Have I told you that I love you?” and I was talking to this stuffed mini bread bowl. Seriously.
No spoon necessary for this lovely little bite. Well, maybe two bites but whatever way you decide to take a bite you will be blown away. Satisfying with lots of taste.
Garlic hummus is delicious and I have a great recipe on the blog titled Roasted Garlic Hummus if you’d like to make yours from scratch. Because of the homemade mini bread bowls in the recipe, I just called for ready-made garlic hummus to help cut some time. There are many delicious ones on the market.
These mini bread bowls are made from scratch and you won’t regret taking the extra step. They’re sturdy yet still tender. Just look at all they can hold. It’ll be an extra surprise when you take a bite and this appetizer is the perfect gentle crunch.
Now I certainly understand that sometimes there just isn’t the time to take that extra step. Have no fear! There are other ways you can make other types of ready-made mini bread bowls.
How Can I Make Quick and Easy Mini Bread Bowls
To make mini bread bowls quicker you need to use pre-packaged products. Not the most wholesome way to go but it is fine to indulge every once in a while for the sake of time. Especially if you’re preparing other things for a party.
The closest you can come to actual bread is by using a refrigerated bread loaf. There are vegan options so just check out the label. Pillsbury is one and it comes in a round tube like the biscuits do. There are many larger loaves too.
Again, Pillsbury puff pastry shells will make a really easy container for this filling. It will be a more tender cup but still delicious. There are other shell options out there too so check the labels to make sure they’re vegan.
So you can see there are options and if your store has a ready-made dough that can be adapted, by all means, go for it. Especially if you’re super busy and preparing other things for a party.
Helpful Tools for Making Garlic Hummus Stuffed Appetizers:
This recipe makes 20 appetizers and mini muffin cups are a must-have. So 2 12 cup pans would work or one 24 cup mini muffin pans would be perfect too.
A round cookie cutter that is about 2″ in diameter. As you can see from my photos I use one that had a scalloped edge. Fancy! This is a very nice set of stainless steel cutters in many sizes.
Mixing bowls in assorted sizes. I’m partial to glass and this set from France has 10 nesting bowls.
You know I’ve seen other garlic hummus stuffed this and that on the internet. There have been peppers, hot and not, and mushrooms and potatoes but none were cute little garlic hummus stuffed cups.
You can get more in these little bread bowls too. The more flavors the better. The recipe stuffing is straight-forward and only takes a little bit of time to prepare. So little effort for so much goodness.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Garlic Hummus Stuffed Mini Bread Bowls
Whole Wheat Pastry Dough
- 3/4 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Mini Bread Bowl Filling
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup onion - ½ cup white onion, finely diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper - finely diced, one red bell pepper
- 8 ounces mushrooms - diced small
- 8 ounces garlic hummus, 8 to 10 ounces
- In a small bowl, add the yeast to the warm water. Stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and the yeast mixture.
- Mix well and then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth, firm ball.
- Oil a large bowl with the teaspoon of olive oil. Place the dough in the oiled bowl and turn the dough all around to get the oil on the whole ball. Cover the bowl lightly with a clean towel and put it in a warm area to let it double in size, about 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough and continue with the mini bread bowl recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease about 20 mini muffin cups with coconut oil.
- Roll out the dough to about 14 x 12 inches and cut circles with a round cutter that measures 1½ to 2 inches in diameter, depending what will fit in your mini muffin tins. Lightly press each circle into a prepared muffin cup so that the dough molds to the sides and bottom.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Put a dollop of hummus into the center in each cup and sprinkle the top with the veggie mixture. Sprinkle the tiniest pinch of salt over the veggies.
How Do I Store Garlic Hummus Stuffed Mini Bread Bowl Appetizers?
Storing in the refrigerator:
You can prepare this recipe beforehand and put it all together on the day of your party or get-together.
Store the cups, hummus, and topping separately in the refrigerator. So three different containers. Assemble the day of serving and then cover with plastic wrap.
The dough will keep in the freezer for up to 9 months. If you want to mold the dough cups and freeze them, they will keep in the freezer for 4 months.
Hummus will keep well in the freezer for about 6 months.
Do not freeze the topping. After defrosting the necessary ingredients, proceed with sauteing the topping and assemble the garlic hummus stuffed cups as described in the recipe.