Date Maple Scones are a comfort food with deep rich flavors. Tender and moist inside and they will melt in your mouth. Easy, tasty, perfect!
My name in Ginny McMeans and I am a carboholic. It started in my early years. In grade school even. A pile of spicy Spanish rice, chili beans poured over a toasted bun, big chunks of crusty sourdough bread, sweet squares of cornbread. My head is spinning. I can go on and on.
Fortunately or unfortunately, it wasn’t until I was older that I found scones in a restaurant. After that I was on the lookout. You could eat them with a fork or with your hands. They could be smeared with jam or have nothing at all.
Come to the dark side and add some carbs to your day. You have to have them. They are good for you. They help you sleep. Slip some in between your proteins and fats and, please, don’t forget your Date Maple Scones.
Date Maple Scones
- 1 egg substitute, I use a chia egg - *see below
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup dairy free butter, melted
- 1/3 cup dairy free milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- *A chia egg is actually made with chia seed meal/flour not the bare seed. The way you make meal/flour is by grinding the chia seed in a processor such as one for your coffee beans or a spice grinder. I use mine to strictly grind seeds so that I do not mix flavors. Grind until it is a fine meal. I do about 4 ounces at a time and keep it in a little freezer safe canning jar - in the freezer. When I need a Tablespoon or so it is all ready to go.
- tablespoon chia seed meal and 3 tablespoons water makes one 'egg'
- Lightly oil a baking sheet, I use coconut oil.
- Mix the non-dairy egg and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour and baking soda.
- In a small bowl add the melted but cooled non-dairy butter, non-dairy milk, maple syrup and prepared non-dairy egg.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour and mix until just blended. Do not over-mix.
- Fold in the dates.
- Divide the dough into 16 parts. Roll each into a loose ball. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Press down, slightly.
- Bake at 400° for 12 to 14 minutes.