Vegan Cauliflower Soup is lightly spiced comfort food that is also an incredibly healthy cauliflower soup. It's perfect for those chilly nights, or if you want an easy homemade side dish for a larger dinner.
The moment you have your first taste of this healthy Cauliflower Soup you will be glad you decided to make this warming and flavorful recipe. The flavors are mild enough so the pickiest of eaters will like it too.
It has a creamy broth with chunky vegetables and is spiced with a little parsley and chipotle powder in just the right amounts.
When it’s cold outside and you’re feeling cozy indoors it’s still a real treat to have a nice hot soup to warm you from the inside out.
It can’t exactly get your toes toasty but this cream-based vegan Cauliflower Soup goes a long way on getting you there.
Vegan Cauliflower Soup Serving Tips
There are so many fun ways of serving this vegan version of cauliflower soup.
- The obvious is to have it as an appetizer served up in beautiful bowls. It makes for a healthy beginning to any holiday or dinner menu.
- At home, we more often have it for lunch. There is nothing better than a cozy cup of warm goodness when it is cold outside.
- It's great as leftovers too. If your lucky enough to have any. The leftovers warm up quickly.
- Have a Soup Party! Have you ever had one? They are so much fun and everyone is pleasantly surprised when they see the cauldrons and slow cookers lined up.
Here's some inspiration with ideas from a party that I threw.
Have a Soup Party!
- Imagine a few appetizers and finger food. Ones such as Stuffed Mushrooms or a Rolled Toasted Mushroom Appetizer.
- A variety of drink choices such as beer, water, and wine round out your setting.
- Four different soups would make a good variety with a big stack of bowls and spoons. They don't have to match since it's a casual affair. People will want to try more than one or two or three.
Since this healthy cauliflower soup is a while creamy soup I would also have:
- A broth soup such as Vegetable Barley Soup.
- Then possibly Homemade Tomato Soup from the Slow Cooker because everybody loves tomato soup.
- Lastly, how about Slow Cooker Red Lentil Soup.
So there you have it! A lot of fun and a soup party.
Chef's Tips and Hints!
- This soup is easy to make and the star ingredient is cauliflower.
- Slow-simmering the vegetable until the florets are fork-tender.
- As you can see in the photo there a chunky cauliflower bits in the soup. Feel free to blend with an immersion blender if you would like it completely creamy.
- The chipotle powder will add a subtle spice that is irresistible, but alternatively, you could use smoked paprika which gives a smokey flavor without liquid smoke.
- Please choose your favorite veggie stock or broth. A good broth definitely adds flavor to the soup and can make all the difference.
- And if you want to thin it a bit more then add a bit more broth but don’t shy away from adding some dry white wine to the mix. It builds another depth of flavor. Not more than 1/4th of a cup though.
Now, let’s look at the ingredients!
Healthy Cauliflower Soup Ingredients
- Dairy-free butter - is added to soften the onions and to create the base of the sauce for thickening.
- Onion - releases a delicious sweetness that will carry throughout this soup.
- Garlic - adds a pleasant mild pungent aroma, adding incredible flavor to the base of the soup.
- Chipotle powder - gives a little bit of spicy flavor.
- Flour - is added to the flour to thicken the sauce.
- Dairy-free milk - is the liquid base of the sauce for thickening and silky texture. Go for unsweetened plant milk.
- Vegetable broth - completes the liquid additions for even more flavor.
- Cauliflower - is the main ingredient and is chosen for its nutty and homey characteristics.
- Dried parsley - adds balance to this savory soup and brightens the overall flavors.
- Salt and ground black pepper are necessary spices and only a little is necessary.
How to Make Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- In a medium saucepan and medium-high heat, melt four tablespoons dairy-free butter.
- Add onion and sauté about 10 minutes until translucent and then add the garlic and chipotle powder. Stir.
- Add flour, stirring to combine and cook for one minute to get out the raw flour taste.
- Add dairy-free milk and one cup of the vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a slow boil stirring so that the mix does not burn. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to thicken. Take off the heat and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, add 3 cups vegetable broth. Add cauliflower florets, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Pour the white sauce into the stockpot along with the vegetable broth and cauliflower. Add parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and heat through. Taste to see if you would like to add more salt.
- If the texture is too thick for your taste, add up to 1/4 cup dry white wine or more vegetable broth.
Cauliflower has become a favorite for families over the past 10 years. I think a lot has to do with the internet. Before you had to depend on cookbooks and recipes to find their way to you through friends and family.
Well, now there is such a wonderful plethora of cauliflower recipes at our fingertips. Right here on the internet. I actually have 14 different, very different, recipes on my blog alone.
Want to see another fantastic cauliflower soup? This one has carrots and corn. Woohoo!
What Are Some Other Cauliflower Side Dish Recipes
I have so so many cauliflower recipes but I promise I won't leave you a big long list. Just a couple but feel free to use my search box on the menu to find more.
- Mexican Cauliflower is another unique recipe. It's quite a spice list.
- Pure Delicious Cauliflower is an old recipe that I turned vegan. Choose your very favorite dairy-free cream cheese.
What Do You Think?
If you take a photo of your warming and dairy free chunky cauliflower soup, follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer. I'd love to see it!
And if you'd like to leave a star rating along with a comment, it would really be appreciated.
Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- 4 tablespoons dairy free butter
- 1/2 onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup dairy free milk - unsweetened
- 4 cups vegetable broth - divided as 1 cup and 3 cups
- 1 head cauliflower - broken into bite side florets
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan and medium-high heat, melt 4 tablespoons dairy free butter.
- Add onion and sauté about 10 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and chipotle powder, heat through, stirring. his takes just a few seconds.
- Add flour, stirring to combine cook for one minute.
- Add dairy-free milk and one cup of the vegetable broth. Stir to combine. Bring to a slow boil stirring so that the mix does not burn. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
- Take off the heat and set aside.
- In a large stockpot add 3 cups vegetable broth. Add cauliflower florets, cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Pour white sauce into the stockpot along with the vegetable broth and cauliflower.
- Add parsley, salt and pepper.
- Stir and heat through.
- Taste to see if you would like to add more salt.
- If it is thicker than you like add up to 1/4 cup dry white wine or more vegetable broth.