Gluten-Free Cranberry Orange Scones are the perfect treat. Citrus, cranberry and a sweet glaze will make you want to serve these over and over. A classic combination!
Gluten-Free Cranberry Orange Scones is a recipe that is out of a wonderful new cookbook titled Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking by the amazing gluten-free goddess, Cara Reed.
All sorts of her exceptional Vegan and Gluten-Free Baked Goods are being recreated this and next month by different bloggers who are jumping at the chance to shine with her recipes – me included.
I choose one of my favorite brunch go-to’s. Scones.
Cara’s gluten-free all-purpose flour blend is the best I have had and it works so well with countless recipes.
These scones are no exception and with the addition of citrus, cranberry, and a sweet glaze you will want to make these over and over. What a great combination!
It was so hard to choose which recipe to showcase from this cookbook. I don’t think there was a single one that I would not want to make which means I will be getting this cookbook very dirty in the future.
It will be smeared with chocolates and glazes. So dive into this recipe and I am sure you will want to try others very soon.
Yeast-Free Cinnamon Buns –
Key Lime Cheesecake Bars –
Gingerbread Men –
Hot Cocoa Snickerdoodles –
Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins –
Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake –
Stone Ground Cornbread – Pumpkin Streusel Bread –
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Gluten-Free Cranberry Orange Scones
Gluten-Free Cranberry Orange Scones have citrus and cranberry flavors and a sweet glaze.
Cara’s All-Purpose Blend
- 5 tablespoons dairy-free butter - cold and cubed
- 1 cup light coconut milk - canned
- 2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup dried cranberries
FOR “EGG” WASH
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
FOR SUGAR GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar organic
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.
- Whisk the flour, xanthan, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
- With a pastry blender, add the butter into the flour mix until crumbly.
- Stir in milk. Before you completely combine the dough together, add the zest and cranberries.
- Mix until flour is completely combined.
- Gently pat dough into a circle (approximately 8–inch/20-cm diameter).
- Slice the scones into 6 pieces and place on a greased baking sheet. I didn't catch this step for some reason and I actually just partially cut though the round for 6 scones and ended up cutting them all the way through after baking. It worked fine.
- Coat a thin layer of the “egg” wash by whisking the water and cornstarch together, and then gliding onto the dough with a brush.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown.
Allow cooling on a baking rack for 10 minutes.
- Coat the tops of the scones with the sugar glaze.
To make the Glaze
- Combine all ingredients to make a paste thick enough to stir but not too runny.
By the way, these also freeze beautifully and will keep in the freezer for 3 months.
Hey, I have some lovely scones on the blog too. They aren’t gluten-free but they are super delicious and currants with a blackberry drizzle.
Currant Scones with Blackberry Jam Drizzle