Easy vegan coleslaw dressing - vegan mayonnaise, dijon mustard, spices, tangy apple cider vinegar, and tart lemon juice for the perfect, creamy coleslaw dressing mix that just needs the cabbage and is ready in only a few minutes.
Coleslaw makes a perfect dish for potlucks, cookouts, and even picnics, but it’s nearly impossible to find a premade dressing at the store that is vegan-friendly. This vegan, dairy-free coleslaw dressing recipe will be your saving grace - it is easy to whip up and is creamy and delicious mixed into coleslaw. With the tangy apple cider vinegar and the dijon mustard, even your non-vegan friends will love this dressing and beg you for the recipe.
This coleslaw dressing is light, tangy, flavorful, and is a much healthier option than any store-bought dressing. It can be mixed up in less than 10 minutes! This slaw dressing makes the ultimate side dish that goes well with just about any entree mixed with cabbage or slaw mix. Just mix vegan mayo, dijon mustard, spices, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice in a jar, and you have the perfect vegan dressing for your coleslaw.
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Coleslaw Dressing
- It’s healthy and free from oils.
- It’s simple and quick to make - you can have a whole batch whipped up in less than 10 minutes.
- All you have to do to make coleslaw with this dressing is mix in the cabbage or a pre-shredded coleslaw mix.
- It can be stored in a jar in the fridge for several days.
- It has apple cider vinegar, which is packed with health benefits.
Equipment Needed To Make Vegan Slaw Dressing
- Jar with Lid
NOTE: I love using a wide-mouth mason jar to make dressing because you can easily shake it up and store in the fridge. If you don’t have a jar, you can also whisk up the dressing in a large bowl.
Ingredients For Your Vegan Coleslaw Dressing
- Vegan Mayonnaise
- Dijon Mustard (you can also use spicy mustard if you prefer)
- Onion Powder
- Celery Seed
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper (season to taste)
How To Make A Vegan Coleslaw Dressing
To make this vegan coleslaw dressing, all you need is a jar with a lid or a bowl. Add all the ingredients into your vessel, shake or whisk until well incorporated, and you’re done!
What to Serve/Pair with The Best Vegan Coleslaw
This yummy, creamy vegan coleslaw dressing can be mixed with cabbage or a pre-shredded slaw mixture for a perfect coleslaw. It makes a great side with most entrees, but one of my favorites is buffalo cauliflower wings. It’s a good way to tone down the spice of the wings. Another good side item to pair this slaw dressing with is vegan potato salad.
One of my favorite desserts to go with this coleslaw is a vegan apple pie. This sweet addition makes the ultimate comfort meal! If you want to enjoy a cocktail with your vegan slaw dressing, pair it with my Patriotic Passion American Cocktail or a Silver Cadillac Margarita.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- If you want to have a little extra spice in your slaw dressing, use spicy mustard instead of dijon mustard.
- If you are watching your sugar intake, feel free to use a sugar substitute. I like to use coconut sugar in mine.
- When you are ready to mix your dressing with slaw, you can mix it with either cabbage, a pre-shredded slaw mixture, or a combination of shredded cabbage and carrots.
How To Store Your Vegan Coleslaw Dressing
This vegan coleslaw dressing can be stored in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 3 days. This makes it a great option to pre-make, then mix into the slaw when you’re ready to enjoy! You won’t want to freeze this dressing. Wait until you’re ready to use it to make it.
Easy Vegan Coleslaw Dressing Mix FAQs
There are several healthy ingredients in this dressing, but the one that sticks out the most to me is the apple cider vinegar. This one thing has SO many health benefits. It can help kill harmful bacteria, helps lower blood sugar levels, and aids in weight loss, among many other benefits.
This recipe is easier to make in a jar because you can close it tightly and shake it up, but you can use a bowl if it has a very tight lid. You will want to apply extra pressure to the lid when you shake it, just to make sure that it does not leak.
Vegan mayo is very simple to make on your own, but you can also find it pre-made at most grocery stores. My favorite is the Follow Your Heart Vegenaise, but even Hellmans makes a vegan mayo. If you don’t see it next to the condiments, look in the organic foods section.
The small amount of sugar adds just the right amount of sweetness to the dressing. It’s enough to offset the tang from the vinegar, but not too much to make it overly sweet.
But the great thing about making the dressing from scratch is that you can taste and adjust. Feel free to add more or less sugar to suit your tastes.
Other Vegan Recipes You’ll Love
Don’t Forget To Come Back And Let Me Know How Your Easy Vegan Coleslaw Dressing Mix Turned Out!
Homemade Vegan Coleslaw Dressing
- ½ cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard You can also use spicy mustard, if you prefer
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Sugar There is only a little bit of sugar in this recipe but it provides just the right amount of sweetness.
- ½ tsp Celery Seed
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar Provides the tang that is so delicious in coleslaw.
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper season to taste
- Add vegan mayo to a jar.
- Spoon mustard into jar.
- Add Seasonings
- Give it a quick stir then add the vinegar and lemon juice.
- Shake Dressing. Place the lid on the jar and give it a good shake until well combined. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste, and give it another shake. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Chill and Store. Seal the jar and store in the fridge until ready to mix up the coleslaw.