Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream is made with full-fat coconut milk, the one that comes in a can. An easy how to make frozen treat recipe that is wonderfully dairy free and vegan too.
It's summertime and the livin' is easy. Well, maybe. It's true, we're all still working but our clothes are lighter in weight and there is a whole lot less of them.
Meals seem much more casual with fruit salads and tacos. There is a lot more al fresco dining and last but not least - there is ice cream.
This recipe is a little different in that it is vegan homemade chocolate ice cream and made with creamy coconut milk. The part that is not different is that it is amazingly delicious.
Last year I bought an ice cream maker way too late in the season. I only got two frozen treats recipes going. Not this year!
First comes chocolate! It's easy to dress up too. You can add so many ingredients to mix it up. Just stir in little chocolate chips, or mint chips or peanut butter chips. Swirls of peanut butter are delicious too. Any kind of nuts works also.
Me? I want it straight up!
This recipe uses full-fat coconut milk, the one that comes in a can, and is dairy-free and gluten-fee.
Sometimes the can says coconut cream and sometimes it says coconut milk. Just look at the label to see what the fat content is. The best of all worlds - easy, chocolaty, sweet and cold.
Also, if you'd like to make your own waffle cones then don't miss this Chia Waffle Cone recipe. They are truly delicious.
- Coconut milk - is creamy and pumps up the rich enjoyment of ice cream.
- 1 cup chocolate syrup - I used my homemade recipe but Hershey's and many others would work too.
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- Make sure your Ice Cream Maker bowl has been in the freezer for about 18 hours. Take the bowl out of the freezer and put it in your ice cream maker.
- In a medium sized bowl add the coconut milk, chocolate syrup and maple syrup. You can make your own homemade chocolate syrup too.
- Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into your cold insert.
- Turn it on and let run for 20 minutes.
- Eat immediately as soft serve or put it in a refrigerator container and freeze so you can scoop it out.
🍨 Do you have to use an ice cream maker
- No, you don't. The reason for an ice cream maker is that the ice cream actually becomes creamier.
- The reasoning behind this is because the bowl is cold and is speeding up the freezing process.
- When you speed up the freezing time and add some churning action, you end up with smaller ice crystals. That means a creamier finished product.
- That also means you can eat it right away as soft serve. Or if you'd like it hard so you can scoop out big scoops then go ahead and freeze it.
- I mentioned a few variations up above but let me line them up for you and add a few more so you can find them easier.
- Mini chocolate chips would be delicious. Peanut butter chips would be good too.
- Crunch up one of your favorite candy bars and throw in the pieces in the last few minutes to get incorporated.
- Add ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of mint extract for mint chocolate flovors.
- Make your favorite cookie dough and freeze it. Then drop chunks into the ice cream in the last few minutes as it's churning.
- You can add any kind of chopped nuts that you like.
- When your frozen treat is done. Place it in a container and swirl actual peanut butter throughout and then freeze.
🍦 Vegan ice cream recipes
- There are a few more frozen treats on the blog and one is Biscoff Ice Cream. If you could just imagine!
- Another is Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ice Cream. Whoa!
- Strawberry Ice Cream Bonbons might be everybody's favorite.
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
- 26 ounces coconut milk - 2 cans about 13 ounces each - full fat usually about 17% to 22%
- 1 cup chocolate syrup - I used my homemade recipe - check link in iinstructions
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- Make sure your Ice Cream Maker bowl has been in the freezer for about 18 hours. Take the ice maker bowl out of the freezer and put it in your ice cream maker.
- In a medium-sized bowl add the coconut milk, chocolate syrup and maple syrup. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker.
- Turn iton and let it run for 20 minutes.
- Eat immediately as a soft serve ice cream or put it in a refrigerator container and freeze for a hard ice cream.