Cinnamon Cookie Biscuits are little two-bite snacks that also happen to be adorable. There’s a light and fluffy texture and they can be eaten for breakfast or as a snack later in the day.
It is so funny but I really did intend to make cookies when I started this recipe. I took out the stand mixer and for some reason, I got out the yeast.
As I began to measure and mix, the dough was really coming along. Not like cookies but like biscuits and I sure didn’t see anything wrong with dunking them in cinnamon sugar before baking.
Because of the sweetness these little nuggets are best for breakfast or a snack. You can use dairy free butter in the center or skip it and spread a nice dollop of your favorite jam on top.
I am still sticking to the cookie biscuits concept because there’s no rolling out dough and you don’t need a cookie cutter to get the round shape. Also, I ended up not using any yeast.
Let me give you some tips.
How Do You Make Biscuits with Whole Wheat Flour?
- Use whole wheat pastry flour if you can.
- Make sure the butter is cold. You can even put the bowl back in the freezer for a few minutes after you’ve cut the butter into the flour.
- Mix lightly as to not overwork the dough and keep it light.
- If the dough seems too wet you can add a bit more flour as you’re kneading. But remember not to overwork.
- This recipe is a little more forgiving if you handle the dough more. Remember it’s a cookie biscuit but you still want to open it with your fingers after they are baked.
See? There really isn’t much work to it and that little bit of cinnamon sugar really makes a nice addition. I don’t have any more biscuits on the blog so I can’t show you a comparison but I do have Cinnamon Sugar Cookies.
Ha! They are melt in your mouth perfect. You really must try them some day. I should do an honest to goodness biscuit recipe for the blog. I lived in the south and for a couple of years and had a great teacher for biscuits and gravy.
But for now let’s go for something completely different – cinnamon cookie biscuits. They are adorable and you just can’t beat a new little treat especially when there is cinnamon sugar included.
Let’s Get Connected!
Cinnamon Cookie Biscuits
- Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix.
- Cut in butter until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the dairy free milk.
- Mix a bit and then knead in the bowl about three times just to make sure everything in incorporated well. Do not over mix or knead or you could make the dough tough. It doesn't need to be smooth.
- I divide the dough in half and then half again and so on until I get 32 chunks.
- Roll lightly in a ball - and then dunk one side into the cinnamon sugar.
- Lay the dunked side on the buttered baking sheet. Fill the sheet up with 16 biscuits leaving space between each. Do two batches for the 32 cookie biscuits.
- Generously sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture on top of each cookie/biscuit.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
- Serve plain or with dairy free butter and/or jelly.