This Dairy Free Ice Cream recipe is turned into Chunky Maple Peanut Butter Ice Cream with one simple ingredient. It is ultra-rich and creamy with lots of chunks and swirls and super easy to make from start to finish.
Since I bought my first ice cream maker I have put it to very good use. There are so many pure delicious ice cream flavors and the combinations seem endless.
I can pick about seven that are my all-time favorites. I bet you have favorites too. The most wonderful thing is that each and every one of them can be a dairy free ice cream recipe.
It's true! All of your favorites can be made into ice cream without milk or cream to make luscious ice cream.
This one is not only dairy-free but is also refined sugar-free!
It's delicious ice cream with an extra treat because it has chunky maple peanut butter pieces throughout.
Sort of like cookie dough ice cream but with nice pieces of maple peanut butter chunks instead.
How to Make Chunky Maple Peanut Butter
- It is easily started by mixing ¼ cup creamy peanut butter with 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Scoop it all into a wide flat bowl. and place it in the freezer.
- Then when it's frozen solid you just take a fork and start pushing straight down into the mix and twist a lift a little to start making your chunks.
- The two photos below give you a good visual. You can see why it's a good idea to put the maple peanut butter in a shallow dish. It's easier to chunk.
If you'd like to make your own peanut butter you can sure check out my simple from scratch Healthy Peanut Butter.
It is salty, creamy, sweet, and has a pure magical nut butter.
I freeze some of the maple peanut butter overnight so that I can use the chunky pieces in this ice cream dessert.
You can, of course, use a store-bought one. Just make sure to use my directions as described in the Healthy Peanut Butter recipe on how to freeze it. ut if you make your own it is so much more economical and you'll know exactly what it contains. Lots of good protein and nutrition.
Now I credit the creaminess of this ice cream to my ice cream maker and coconut cream. Using canned coconut cream (or coconut milk) instead of other non dairy milk makes all the difference.
Check the ingredients on the can label to make sure it says the fat content is somewhere between 17% and 24%. It's so easy to make ice cream without milk.
Making Ice Cream
Now, as for the ice cream maker, I use Cuisinart's. It is tried and true by so many people and I know it sure works good for me.
Luckily these days you have some great options to choose from at very affordable prices.
- I can still clearly remember the one my parents had when I was little.
- They had one where you still had to use rock salt. Anyone else remember those?
- The old ones were wooden ice cream makers with a hand crank. Making ice cream together was always a lot of fun. We'd all take turns cranking.
- The tricky thing was preventing the rock salt from spilling into the ice cream. Not easy at all.
- I remember the rock salt very well because I was very young and I got the first bite at one of those parties. But instead of delicious ice cream, I got a cold bite of salt! Shock!
Well, those were the good old days but today when we use an electric ice cream makers you get a nice cold sweet bite of heaven. Every time. Really easily.
I hope you jump right on this recipe so you can get a sweet fresh amazingly beautiful dessert.
Don’t forget to also check out some of my other dairy free ice cream recipe combos!
There is a great ice cream cone recipe too!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
What Do You Think?
If you take a photo of your vegan ice cream I would love to see it. Follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer.
Your opinion means a lot to me and if you'd like to leave a comment and possibly a star rating I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Chunky Maple Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- 27 Ounces Coconut Milk, 2 cans about 13.5 oz. each 17%- 24% full fat
- 1 ½ cup frozen maple peanut butter, make sure you have this frozen already so that you can complete your ice cream quickly
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- You will need an ice cream maker.
- Freeze the bowl that goes in the ice cream maker for at least 18 hours.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pre chilled ice cream bowl.
- Add the maple syrup.
- Turn on your machine and let it go 20 minutes.
- While this is churning, chunk your frozen maple peanut butter.
- Add the maple peanut butter chunks, to the ice cream, through the top shoot and let churn another 5 to 10 minutes.
- The ice cream will be like soft serve but if you want it hard to scoop as in my photos then pour the ice cream into a freezer safe glass or plastic container that has a tight lid. Freeze for about 6 hours.
I am an ice cream lover, it is one of my weaknesses and this really sounds great. I love all the flavors