These Cut Out Vegan Christmas Sugar Cookies are soft, fluffy, and oh-so-yummy, plus they're made entirely with plant-based ingredients. In addition to being delicious, these sweet treats are also festive and colorful, making them the ideal cookies for welcoming the holidays. Perfect for serving as Christmas nibbles or giving as gifts!
Sugar cookies are a staple every holiday season. The Christmas-themed cut-out shapes and colorful frosting of these delicious tasty bites can captivate both children and adults alike. They're delicious and fun cookies to have around for snacks, desserts, or take-home gifts.
My sugar cookie recipe has a little bit of a twist for some added depth in flavor! You can make these cookies with or without frosting, and they still won’t be overly sweet. Just grab your favorite Christmas cookie cutters and your rolling pin to get started!
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Christmas sugar cookies
- Quick and Easy: My vegan Christmas sugar cookies are simple and quick to make. You don't have to be a professional baker to make these delectable desserts. The ingredients can be found at any grocer, and the preparation directions are simple to follow.
- Colorful and Festive: This recipe features a snowy white icing topped with bright and vibrant sprinkles! These sugar cookies will transform your dessert table into a Christmas wonderland!
- Perfect Gifts: Do you have friends and family coming to visit during the holidays? Then, these vegan sugar cookies make excellent take-home gifts! You're practically sending Christmas to them as they go home!
Equipment Needed To Make Christmas sugar cookies
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Small bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- Cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
- Pastry Bag
Ingredients You Need To Make This Vegan Christmas Sugar Cookie Recipe
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Unsalted vegan butter softened
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin puree or unsweetened applesauce
- Vegan sour cream
- Powdered sugar
- Almond milk
- Vanilla extract
- Light corn syrup
- Candies, sprinkles
How to Make Cut Out Vegan Christmas Sugar Cookies
Place your vegan Christmas sugar cookies in an airtight container to keep them fresh. The cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. The cookies can be refrigerated for up to two weeks. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. The cookies can be frozen with or without a decorative frosting applied to the surface.
Because the icing is delicate, avoid stacking the cookies on top of one another when keeping them. However, if you must stack the cookies, insert parchment paper in between them.
Tips For Making The Perfect Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Weigh your flour. Using a scale to weigh your flour can guarantee that you use the exact amount every time you bake. However, you can scoop the flour into the measuring cup and then level it off with a knife if you're using measuring cups. Do not scoop the flour using the measuring cup or pack the flour into the cup.
- Before Icing: Check to see if the cookies have totally cooled. Do not put frosting on a warm cookie. Your icing or frosting is going to melt.
- The Right Butter: Vegan butter sticks are great for baking. Do not use tubs of spreadable vegan butter because they typically contain water, which may ruin your Christmas sugar cookies.
Vegan Christmas Sugar Cookies FAQs
Yes, you can bake these gluten-free cookies. You can accomplish this by substituting gluten-free all-purpose flour for standard all-purpose flour.
If you dislike the flavor of vegan butter, you can substitute coconut oil.
Yes, you can! To make your cookies ahead of time, prepare the dough and place it in the refrigerator for three days before rolling it out and cutting out the shapes. Another option is you can freeze the dough and then let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before rolling it out and cutting out the shapes.
Other Vegan Christmas Dessert Recipes You're Sure To Love
Don’t Forget To Come Back And Let Me Know How Your Vegan Christmas sugar cookies Turned Out!
Cut Out Vegan Christmas Sugar Cookies
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour plus more for rolling dough
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted vegan butter softened
- 1 ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup pumpkin puree or unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2-3 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- candies, sprinkles
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
- pumpkin puree or unsweetened applesauce
- Gradually add dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream until well combined.
- Transfer dough to smaller bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Knead dough about ¼ of the dough at a time with a small amount of flour just until dough is not sticky.
- Roll out onto floured surface about ⅛ - ¼ inch thick
- Cut with cookie cutter and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are lightly brown.
- Cool completely and frost as desired.