Best Ever Double Chocolate Brownies are rich with chocolate chips in every bite. 24 huge squares and they are so easy. Dust a sugar heart for some love.
Chocolate seems to be such a comforting treat. If I am ever wondering what to make as a dessert it is almost always chocolate. It just seems a safe bet for everyone.
These Double Chocolate Brownies are made a bit healthier which makes my family happy but it also delivers all the bells and whistles to your taste buds.
Company was over a couple of days ago and I had these brownies on hand. They didn’t hesitate when I offered a plate full.
I hadn’t put hearts on every piece and the four-year-old wanted to make sure he got one with a heart. Smart boy!
What Kind of Chocolate Chips Should I Use For Vegan Brownies?
There are a few on the market now and quite easy to find. I used Trader Joe’s semi-sweet chocolate chips, Some chocolate chips are accidentally vegan and this is one of them.
Enjoy Life aren’t so easy to find in major grocery stores but they are in some. You can also order Enjoy Life them on Amazon.
How Do You Make Chia Seed Eggs?
- Mix 1 tablespoon chia flour and 3 tablespoons water.
- To make the flour you need to grind chia seeds to a fine meal. You can use the seed not ground but it takes much longer for them to gel correctly.
- I have a coffee grinder that I use for chia seeds.
- You could also do the same with Flaxseed meal and it does not need to be ground. I prefer the gel that comes from chia eggs.
- The flour keeps perfectly in the freezer for months and when you need a tablespoon or two it is right there ready.
Below is a picture of some of the tools I used in making these Double Chocolate brownies. A nice 9″ x 13″ baking pan. A plastic spatula to scoop up the brownies but any spatula will work.
Something that is a little more unusual is the powdered sugar sifter. But any smallish sifter will work just fine.
How Do You Make a Heart Stencil?
- All you need is a lightweight stock paper and scissors.
- I say stock paper because the weight will help to hold the stencil closer to the brownie as you sprinkle. You can use paper though. Just have it as flat as you can against the brownie.
- Have a piece of paper at least 3″ square so that it will be wider than the square of brownie. Fold you paper in half.
- Draw the outline of a half shape heart, on the crease in the middle of the paper, and make sure the heart will be smaller than 2″ so it will fit the top of the brownie.
- Cut on your line and then open the paper. That is the shape of your heart. If you’d like it wider at the top or longer at the bottom you can refold the paper and make adjustments.
Now that you have your stencil you can dust on powdered sugar on as many brownies as you like.
Center the stencil on a brownie. Put about 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar in the dusting wand or small sifter and dust the powdered sugar over your cutout and carefully lift straight up.
Can You Freeze Brownies?
- Yes! Baked good freeze amazingly well and keep their quality for about 4 months.
- IF FREEZING:
- You may freeze the brownies in any of the methods shown in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer.
- They defrost quickly so it really doesn’t take any planning. Just put them in the refrigerator to defrost overnight or set out on a plate and it will take an hour or so to defrost.
Pull out a big mixing bowl and stir up a huge stack of delicious Vegan Double Chocolate Brownies!
Best Ever Double Chocolate Brownies
- 2 egg substitutes - I used chia eggs - *see below on how to prepare chia eggs)
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Fair Trade cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee - finely ground
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips - Fair Trade
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting the hearts. - organic
- Lightly oil a 9x13" baking pan
- Mix the egg substitute and set aside. See the instructions below.
- In a large bowl add the nondairy milk, coconut oil, prepared egg substitute, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for about a minute or two until well mixed. Scraping down a couple of times.
- To the same bowl add flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix until well blended, scrapping down the sides.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon into the prepared baking pan and smooth evenly.
- Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cutting board and cut into 24 squares. 4 across and 6 down with squares being a little bit bigger than 2" square.
- Fold a heavier piece of stock paper in half and cut out a half heart shape that is smaller that 2" high.
- Open up the paper and you will see your pretty heart shape.
- Lay the heart shape in the center of a cut brownie square.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar in the dusting wand and dust the powdered sugar over your cutout and carefully lift straight up.
- Continue until you are done with your hearts.
How Do You Make Chia Seed Eggs?