Chocolate Crunch Brownies are rich with chips of chocolate in every bite. 24 huge squares and they couldn’t be easier. Dust a sugar heart for some love.
Chocolate seems to be such a comforting treat. If I am ever wondering what to make as a dessert it is almost always chocolate. It just seems a safe bet for everyone.
Chocolate Crunch Brownies is made a bit healthier which makes my family happy but it also delivers all the bells and whistles to your taste buds.
Company was over a couple of days ago and I had these brownies on hand. They didn’t hesitate when I offered a plate full. I hadn’t put hearts on every piece and the four year old wanted to make sure he got one with a heart. Smart boy!
Pull out a big mixing bowl and stir up a huge stack of delicious Chocolate Crunch Brownies.
Chocolate Crunch Brownies
Chocolate Crunch Brownies are rich with chips of chocolate in every bite.
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 egg substitutes - I used chia eggs - *see below on how to prepare chia eggs)
- 1 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Fair Trade cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee - finely ground
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips - Fair Trade
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting the hearts. - organic
- Lightly oil a 9x13" baking pan
- Mix the egg substitute and set aside. Follow package directions or use chia eggs. Here is how you use chia seeds. 1 Tablespoon chia flour and 3 Tablespoons water. To make the flour you need to grind chia seeds to a fine meal. The flour keeps perfectly in the freezer for future use.
- In a large bowl add the nondairy milk, coconut oil, prepared egg substitute, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for about a minute or two until well mixed. Scraping down a couple of times.
- To the same bowl add flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix until well blended, scrapping down the sides.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon into the prepared baking pan and smooth evenly.
- Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cutting board and cut into 24 squares. 4 across and 6 down with squares being a little bit bigger than 2" square.
- Fold a heavier piece of stock paper in half and cut out a half heart shape that is smaller that 2" high.
- Open up the paper and you will see your pretty heart shape.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar in the dusting wand and set aside.
- Lay the heart shape in the center of a cut brownie square.
- Dust the powdered sugar over your cutout and carefully lift straight up.
- Continue until you are done with your hearts.
- Keep in an airtight container in or out of the fridge.
IF FREEZING: You may freeze the brownies in any of the methods shown in my article http://veganinthefreezer.com/preparing-food-for-the-freezer/. They defrost quickly so it really doesn’t take any planning. Just put them in the refrigerator to defrost overnight or set out on a plate and it will take an hour or so to defrost.