Apple Crumble Bars turned out to be one of the best bars ever. Layered with chocolaty goodness for a perfect snack any time of the day.
Apple Bars have turned out to be the bar that is made most in our house. Bars are so easy to make, and they seem to be really appreciated.
There is a bit of apple in the top layer along with the chocolate. Tart Granny Smith apples are used to have the perfect balance of tart and sweet.
You could use any of your favorite baking apple varieties because it will all be good but I’m partial to Granny Smith’s. They bake up so beautifully with a nice balance to the sweets.
They are really really easy to make and you will have a great treat in no time.
Here is a view of the ingredients and they all come together perfectly for these tasty layers. Watch the video so you can see how easy it is.
What Are the Best Apples For Baking?
These are the most readily available from the east coast to the west coast.
- Granny Smith (my fav)
- Golden Delicious
This Apple Bars recipe fills a nice large pan size measuring 9″ x 13″. The layers are nice and thick with lots of texture.
Apple Bars and It’s Perfect Topping
If these apple crumble bars didn’t already have the best base layer the topping really puts them over the top.
The topping is a crumbly mix that you can put in your hand and sprinkle nice and thick. Besides that, it bakes up nice and crispy/chewy with all the flavors working so well with each other.
Best Apple Recipes
Next to these apple crumb bars are some shining recipes that I think you just might like to check out.
- For something completely different you can make this wonderful Apple Broccoli Salad.
- Slow Cooker Apples and Oats really makes a nice and easy breakfast.
- If you want your socks knocked off then you have to make this Coffee Cake with Apple Cinnamon Streusel.
- Apple Waffles have shredded apple mixed in the batter.
And do you know there are sixteen more apple recipes on this blog? Just enter the word apple into the search box if you want to see an amazing array of recipes.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
After the apple crumb bars have cooled you may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer.
They defrost quickly so it really doesn’t take any planning. Just put them on a plate for an hour or two and enjoy.
Let’s Get Connected!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 organic brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup maple sugar, you can substitute coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold vegan butter so you can cut it into the flour mixture
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups Granny Smith apples cut into little pieces
- 16 ounces Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup walnuts chopped into small pieces. The Food Processor works really well for this.
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan with softened vegan butter or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugars and baking soda.
- Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until it resembles coarse meal.
- Press half of the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- To the remaining flour mixture add the oats, apples, chocolate and nuts.
- Sprinkle onto the top of the mixture that is already in the pan so there are two layers.
- Press in very lightly.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes and cut into bars.
- Store in an airtight container.