Chinese Almond Butter Cookies combine the best of two worlds. Two classic cookies that are softly crunchy and they will have you licking your lips.
Two, two, two cookies in one! Can you count the times you've bought a box of Chinese Almond Cookies? They are delicious and celebrate the Chinese New Year so well.
It's coming up already, in early February. I also didn't want this cookie to be relegated to one time of the year so 'enter almond butter'.
The cookies turned out softly crunchy and they also have slivered almonds as an adornment.
Chinese Almond Cookies are pretty much a basic cookie dough with almond extract instead of vanilla and almonds to strengthen the flavor.
You can't go wrong with that but then add almond butter and the cookie gets even better.
The extra care shows your friends and family that you've gone the extra mile for them and that equals smiles for everyone including yourself.
Since these are also vegan cookies then I need to stress getting organic sugars just to make sure that they haven't been filtered with bone char. I hate to even bring that up but 'certified organic' is always a good thing anyway.
This is a really simple recipe but it will probably be easier if you use a hand mixer or an electric stand mixer since you do want to get the sugar and dairy-free butter light and fluffy.
You might think that the mix of the two wouldn't get light and fluffy but believe me they do.
Health Benefits for Almond Butter
- Almond butter is high in protein to keep you going and your body healthy. That includes copper, Vitamin B2, and riboflavin.
- About ¼ cup of almond butter a week shows to reduce coronary heart disease by about 35%.
- It helps keep your blood sugar stable.
- A bonus is that vitamin E is included which contains antioxidant power.
- There is even magnesium and potassium. Always good for your heart and blood pressure.
Other Ways to Enjoy Almond Butter in Your Recipes
- Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes with Almond Butter Maple Syrup is delicious and you must keep the syrup recipe for waffles too.
- No Bake Almond Butter Protein Bars will always make your snack a real pleasure to enjoy.
- Rice Krispies Almond Butter Balls are made with vegan rice crispies and are a wonderful sweet treat.
My egg substitute of choice is chia eggs. They gel-up so nice and really do a great job in lightening up the dough when baking.
You can also use white chia seeds and that really helps keep the cookies light. It really isn't a problem with the little black chia seeds though.
- Baking Sheet - It's not so pretty anymore but I still love stainless steel!
- Mixing Bowls - Good old fashioned glass bowls ... used daily!
- Cooling Racks - I like the narrower size for storing!
Now that you have your home smelling like a bakery go ahead and bring in your friends and loved ones.
Chinese Almond Butter Cookies
- ½ cup dairy-free butter, softened
- ½ cup creamy almond butter
- ¾ cup organic brown sugar
- ½ cup organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chia seed or flax seed meal as an egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons water, used for the chia seed or flax seed meal egg
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix your egg substitute according to package directions. I use a chia egg which is 1 tablespoon chia flour and 3 tablespoons water. To make the flour you need to grind chia seeds to a fine meal. The flour keeps perfectly in the freezer for future use. Set the prepared egg aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer beat together the vegan butter and almond butter until smooth.
- Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes.
- Add the nondairy milk, vanilla, and egg substitute. Mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt and mix just until blended. Do not overwork.
- Scoop dough into 1 ½ tablespoon mounds and put on a baking sheet about 2" apart.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the edges are just barely golden. You want to keep them light and soft.
- Cool on a wire rack.