This Chili Pasta Recipe is a nice comforting main dish that is also an easy to make casserole. Bake up a spicy batch for dinner. Easily doubled for a large gathering too.
I forget about casseroles and that’s a shame because they are so handy. Not only are the majority of casserole dishes easy but often there are leftovers just because of the sheer volume
This recipe is for four servings but it is easily doubled for more people or even just to have leftovers for tomorrow night.
Don’t you love compliments at dinnertime? It is very gratifying to hear – “This is good!” – even if it is through a mouthful of food.
If you can take the time to make a weekly menu then your life will be majorly improved. You won’t forget to add in casserole recipes either.
Dinners can be very hard to come up with on a day to day basis especially with everything else that goes on in our lives. This is nothing new.
I can remember my mom having trouble every once in a while and that was before the internet. Can you imagine how hard it was ten?
Cellular phones weren’t added into the equation either. Talking and texting can be a real time suck but in searching for a recipe for dinner the internet can be an angel.
How Do You Make this Chili Pasta Recipe?
Yahoo! Process shots are below. As you can see it is super simple.
Sauté the onion and then add fresh garlic.
While the sautéing is going on precook the pasta to al dente. Remember it’s going to be baked more in the oven.
Now, add all of the ingredients, except the cheese, to a large bowl and toss to mix well.
Pour into a prepared casserole dish and bake. Done!
I like to use a large casserole dish even though the ingredients don’t fill the dish very high. That way I get more melty cheese on top.
You could also mix the cheese throughout the casserole before you pour it into the baking dish.
Use any small pasta that you prefer. Below is the first photo I took back in 2013. I used fusilli then and rotelle this time.
Even macaroni and then you have Chili Mac Bake.
Now that I am an adult I’m thinking back to my favorite meals from mom and they were the simple ones. Breakfast for dinner – loved it! Creamed ‘whatever’ on toast – loved it! Chili size – loved it!
It’s funny the simple meals we remember. Well, here is a meal your family can remember too.
Don’t forget to put the ingredients on your shopping list so you can make it soon. Chili Pasta is that good!
Just so you don’t have to go searching for a second meal for the weekly meal plan you might want to check out one of my other pasta recipes and it’s Vegan Pizza Pasta Sauce with Rigatoni.
You know how I mentioned that in 2012 I posted this recipe with rotelle? Well here is the pic for you to see. Choose your favorite pasta and go for it.
Types of Popular Small Pasta:
- Small Shells
- Small rigatoni
Bring back the family meal with pasta and beans all mixed together with even more enhancing ingredients. It all comes together when baked in a casserole.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Chili Pasta Recipe - Casserole
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 8 ounces rotelle or any other small pasta
- 15 ounces kidney beans - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn - 1 can, drained and rinsed, or 1 ear of corn shucked and cut from the cob
- 1 1/2 cup Roma tomatoes - about 4 Roma's, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated vegan cheddar type cheese
- Drizzle the oil into a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute about 5 minutes watching so that the garlic does not burn.
- Remove from heat.
- While the onion is sauteeing cook the rotelle pasta as directed on the package until cooked al dente.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- To a large bowl add the cooked onion and garlic, drained kidney beans, the drained (or fresh) corn, diced tomatoes, chili powder, ground cumin and salt. Stir until well mixed.
- Add the cooked pasta and lightly toss until well incorporated.
- Lightly oil a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Pour the chili pasta mixture into a 9×13 dish.
- Spread it out evenly with a spatula and sprinkle with the vegan cheese.
- Place in preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Spoon into serving dishes at the stove or at the table.