Healthy Cauliflower Casserole with Mushrooms makes it hard for you to put down your fork. It’s a bit cheesy and the texture is perfect. This cauliflower and mushroom casserole side dish is a recipe you will want to make regularly.
Here’s a healthy cauliflower and mushroom casserole I don’t think you’ve ever had before. It’s made with a mix of fresh veggies, a little nutritional yeast for a cheesy kick and a buttery crumble topping.
Each bite gives so much pleasure in the form of texture and flavor. I really can’t think of a nationality that I could relate it too. Maybe Italian but think it must be All-American.
If you’re here I am so glad you found this recipe. I think you’re going to really like it and who can complain about another good side dish recipe.
It’s got all the favorites. Beside perfectly cooked cauliflower and mushrooms, there are a few additional ingredients that will make you swoon when put together.
It becomes a little cheesy and the crumble topping is to die for. You may even want to double the topping. No judgment here.
How to Core and Cut a Head of Cauliflower
- There are a couple of ways you can do this. There’s a ‘chop way’ which works great most of the time and a ‘pretty way’ which is great for looks.
- For the ‘chop way’ use a cleaver type of knife and cut straight through the top at the center all the way through the core. Now cut those two pieces in half.
- Flip one quarter on its side and chop longwise, as close as you can to the base of the florets. Do this on all four pieces.
- Now you can pull the florets apart and cut the larger florets smaller. Done.
- For the ‘pretty way’ use a culinary knife that has about a 6″ pointed blade. Flip the cauliflower to its underside. Cut all around the core at an angle so that you are making a cone shape inside the cauliflower. Pull out the core.
- Pull the cauliflower apart in pieces. Pick up one bunch of florets and make a small slit as if you were going to cut the pieces apart. Lay down your knife and pull apart the pieces. This very quickly.
- Grasp the bunch with your fingers at the slit and pull apart from the underside. This lets the florets break at their natural split instead of making a hard knife cut. It is much prettier.
Tools to Help Make This Cheesy Vegan Cauliflower Casserole
A 6-inch culinary knife with a pointed blade is a good length and shape to make short work for all your cutting needs.
Healthy Cauliflower Recipes to Love
I have so so many cauliflower recipes but I promise I won’t leave you a big long list. Just a couple.
- Another unique recipe is Mexican Vegan Cauliflower Casserole. It’s got quite an amazing spice list.
- Pure Delicious Cauliflower is an old recipe that I turned vegan. Choose your very favorite dairy-free cream cheese.
- You won’t be sorry when you make this Mildly Marinated Cauliflower recipe for a BBQ get together.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
What Do You Think?
If you take a photo of your vegan cauliflower casserole I would love to see it. Follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer.
Your opinion means a lot to me and if you’d like to leave a comment and possibly a star rating I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Healthy Cauliflower Casserole with Mushrooms
- 1 head cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 5 tablespoons dairy free butter, melted
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup dairy free parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Place the florets in a medium-size saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain. Place in a 9"x9" baking dish.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the cauliflower.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, bread crumbs, dairy free parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Sprinkle over the vegetables in the baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.