Cauliflower Tikka Masala Soup is the perfect soup. It doesn't take nearly as long as a curry but has just the same amount of rich flavor.
Not only is it the time of the year for lots of soup - lately it seems like it's the year of the soup. On facebook groups I've been seeing people asking for great soup recipes over and over again.
Well, there is a new cookbook full of vegan soups. It's called Awesome Vegan Soups. 80 of them to be exact. Affordable Whole Food Stews, Chilis and Chowders for Good Health.
That is how I came across this delicious soup recipe, Cauliflower Tikka Masala Soup. I was lucky enough to get permission to share the recipe with you. Right here, right now and straight from the cookbook.
Another cool thing is that the cookbook is broken up into seasons.
Cauliflower Tikka Masala Soup
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil - 9 g
- ¾ cup yellow - yellow, diced, i yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger - fresh, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala - 8 g
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper - optional
- 4 cups cauliflower, florets - divided - 400 g
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes - about 6 tomatoes diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth - 720 ml
- ¾ cup coconut cream - 145 g
- pinch salt
- fresh cilantro - for garnish
- Fresh ginger - chopped, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk - 15 ml, for garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a large stockpot and add the diced onion. Cook the onion for roughly 4 minutes over medium-high heat until it begins to brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Next, add the garam masala, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper (if using) and 2 cups (200 g) of cauliflower florets to the pot. Stir and cook for 3 more minutes until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth and coconut cream to the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Blend the simmered soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add the remaining 2 cups (200 g) of cauliflower florets to the soup and simmer for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until the cauliflower is cooked.
- Season the soup with salt to taste.
- Serve the soup with fresh cilantro, chopped fresh ginger and coconut milk.