Cauliflower Po Boy Sandwich is a hearty sandwich that is made from roasted cauliflower that has been drenched in a spicy coating. Easy, tasty and addictive!
The Spicy (or not) Cauliflower Po Boy Sandwich is from a brand new cookbook by Kathy Hester. It is titled The Easy Vegan Cookbook and is packed full of recipes you'll want to make. Luckily, I am able to pass this recipe on to you.
This was such a fun and simple recipe to make. As I was mixing the dry ingredients I was thinking "That sounds really good". Then there was some tossing and baking and taste testing. My next words were "Oh, very good!!!".
Serve the Cauliflower Po Boy Sandwich on a hoagie bun with your favorite sandwich toppings. I keep mine simple, lots of non-dairy mayo and lettuce. Just just perfect.
Go ahead and add tomato, onion, sprouts, bell peppers, olives, anything you want. The sandwich is so good.
These little cauliflower flowerettes are so delicious that you can eat them as an appetizer too. They go very well with a dunking sauce and the Spicy Mayo, included in this recipe, works perfectly with them. I also used my Almond Mayonnaise recipe once.
You can see I have really enjoyed this Cauliflower Po Boy Sandwich. Now I always make a double batch. You too will be amazed and delighted!
Cauliflower Po Boy Sandwich
- ½ head cauliflower broken into florets
- ½ pieces loaf soft French bread cut into 4 depending on loaf size (*use gluten-free bread)
- ½ cup white whole-wheat flour or regular whole wheat 62.5 g, *use a gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ cup cornmeal 30.5 g
- 1 tablespoon DIY Cajun Seasoning Blend 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast 5 g, page 30, 3.3 g
- 1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon smoked paprika ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened nondairy milk 30 ml
- 1 tablespoon not-too-hot vinegar-based hot sauce such as Texas Pete or Louisiana Hot Sauce 15 ml
- ¼ cup vegan mayo or Cashew Sour Cream 60 g, page 22, from Kathy's cookbook
- 11/2 teaspoons garlic 7 ml
- in Tabasco or the hot sauce your used the wet mix
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Spray a large sheet pan with oil (**or line with parchment paper). Set aside.
- Combine the dry mix ingredients in a small mixing bowl and the wet ones in a separate bowl.
- Toss the cauliflower florets in the wet mixture then transfer to the dry mixture and coat well. Spread the florets on the sheet pan and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. Cook until the cauliflower is tender and is easily pierced with a fork. While the cauliflower roasts, mix the mayo ingredients together.
- If the French bread is fresh there is no need to toast it, but if it’s getting dry, go ahead and toast it.
- Spread a thick layer of the spicy mayo (**use mustard or tofu sour cream) on both sides of the bread, then layer with the cooked cauliflower.
- You can top with more hot sauce, lettuce and tomato.
Kathy is a very prolific recipe developer and has an imagination that just won't quit. I am so glad she is in the vegan world and continually offers delicious recipes to make. Each recipe inside the cookbook has a color photo too. Photos to droll over.
The recipes themselves range from Maple Walnut Sausage Patties to Super Quick Creamy Broccoli Soup to One Pot Vegetable Lo Mein to Pecan Coconut Chocolate Chip Bars. The list goes on and on.
If you are an online shopper I have Kathy's link through Amazon. Click here to order The Easy Vegan Cookbook. It's a great buy right now and it really should go in your cookbook collection. I guarantee you will be making many of these recipes over and over again.
Kelly @ trial and eater
I love everything cauliflower and everything spicy, this has my name written all over it!
It really is Ayngelina! You will be amazed how good it is 🙂
Fantastic Kelly! You're going to love this sandwich and I bet you'll make it all the time. 🙂
This looks yummy! I am big fan of Po Boys AND cauliflower! Definitely giving this a try!
You're going to love it Beth! Thank you 🙂