Veggie Puff Pastry- Finely cut onion, mushrooms, and artichokes are tossed with black olives and zesty Italian dressing, then spooned into freshly baked golden brown puff pastry shells. Warm, flakey, and delicious, these veggie puff pastries are perfect for any holiday or gathering.
Have you ever had a puff pastry? If not, you are really missing out! It's basically croissant dough that's been folded repeatedly, creating all these mouthwatering flakey layers. Puff pastries are versatile and can be filled with a sweet or savory filling and baked until golden brown. No matter what you fill them with, they are delicious! Puff pastries are always a great recipe to impress friends and family because they look so sophisticated.
You'll love vegan veggie puff pastries if you're a fan of veggie appetizers! These tasty little morsels are packed with flavor and nutrients, making them the perfect choice for a healthy snack. Whether you're looking for something to tide you over until dinner or something to take to a party, these pastries are sure to please. So why not give them a try today? You won't be disappointed!
Why You'll Love This Savory Puff Pastry Appetizer Recipe
Great For Parties- Whether you're hosting a party or attending one, these savory puff pastries are the perfect appetizer to bring along.
Crowd Pleaser- Puff pastries are sure to be a hit with vegans and non-vegans alike. Even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy these flakey, flavorful bites.
Packed With Flavor- These little pastries are bursting with flavor. The combination of savory veggies and the rich, flakey dough is simply irresistible.
Easy To Make- Veggie puff pastry appetizers are surprisingly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and a bit of time, you can have these delicious pastries ready to enjoy.
Freezes Well- Have leftovers? No problem! These pastries freeze well so that you can enjoy them at a later date.
Equipment Needed To Make Vegetable Puff Pastries
- Cutting Board
- Large Bowl
- Stirring Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
Ingredients For Vegan Puff Pastry Appetizers
- Frozen Puff Pastry Shells
- Coconut Oils
- Red Onion
- Button Mushrooms
- Black Olives
- Italian Dressing
How To Make Veggie Puff Pastry Appetizers
Veggie puff pastries are beautiful and may seem intimidating, but they are pretty simple to make.
Cut your artichokes and mushrooms into small pieces and finely chop the onions. Add the coconut oil and chopped onion in a heated skillet and cook until translucent. Once the onions have been cooked, remove them from the skillet and set them aside.
In the same skillet, add the mushrooms and artichokes and cook for about 10 minutes. Drain off any remaining liquid and add cooked veggies to a large bowl with black olives, salt, and pepper. Pour the Italian dressing over the vegetables and toss well. Place the filling in the refrigerator until ready to stuff the prepared pastry shells.
In this recipe, we use frozen puff pastries, so you will prepare those according to the package directions. Once they are done, allow them to cool, then carefully remove the top shell lid. Fill each puff pastry evenly with the veggie filling. Arrange on a platter, serve, and enjoy!
What to Serve/Pair With Savory Vegetable Puff Pastries
Veggie puff pastries are perfect for snacking or as an appetizer. Serve them with a dipping sauce like vegan ranch dressing, dairy-free tzatziki, or hummus. You could also pair them with a salad or soup for a light meal.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
Veggie puff pastries are excellent as is, but there are a few ways you can change them up to suit your taste.
- If you're not a fan of mushrooms, feel free to leave them out.
- You could add other vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, or broccoli.
- If you want a bit more of a cheesy flavor, you could add some vegan Parmesan cheese to the filling.
- Looking for a bit more of a kick? Add some red pepper flakes or hot sauce to the mix.
- You could also top your veggie puff pastries with vegan chili or salsa for an extra bit of flavor.
How To Reheat & Store Homemade Puff Pastry Appetizer
What Is The Best Way To Store Vegetable Puff Pastries?
Leftover veggie puff pastries can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How Long Will Puff Pastry Appetizers Last In The Fridge?
When stored properly, you can store vegetable puff pastry appetizers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can I Freeze Vegan Puff Pastry Appetizers?
Yes! These puff pastries freeze well. Be sure to store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. When stored in the freezer, veggie puff pastries will last for up to 3 months.
How To Reheat Puff Pastry Appetizers With Vegetables?
There are a few ways you can reheat these pastries.
Reheat them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through. You could also microwave them for 30-60 seconds or until heated.
Veggie Puff Pastry Appetizer FAQs
Can I make these puff pastries ahead of time?
Yes! You can prepare the veggie filling and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. You could also prepare the puff pastry dough ahead of time and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When ready to make the appetizers, thaw the dough and fill them as directed.
I don't have any Italian dressing, can I use something else?
Of course. If you don't have Italian dressing, you could use a balsamic vinaigrette, red wine vinegar, or even just olive oil.
Can I use an oil other than coconut oil?
Yes, you can use any type of oil you like. Avocado oil or olive oil would also work well in this recipe.
Do I have to use frozen puff pastry dough?
No, you don't have to use frozen puff pastry dough. You could make your own puff pastry dough from scratch. However, it is a bit of a process, and the frozen dough is much easier.
Can I use different vegetables in these puff pastries?
Yes! If you don't like mushrooms, feel free to leave them out. You could add other vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, or broccoli.
Don't Forget To Come Back And Let Me Know How Your Vegetable Puff Pastry Appetizers Turned Out!
Veggie Puff Pastry Appetizer
- 2 packages frozen puff pastry shells - 6 in each package
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ red onion - finely chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms - sliced
- 14 ounces artichokes - one 14 ounce can, NOT marinated
- 1 ounce black olives - that's about 5 small black olives
- ⅓ cup Italian dressing
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Having the onion finely chopped is important in this recipe. It just blends better with the other ingredients.
- When I chop artichokes they always seem to have one top layer that is tough. I peel that off and throw it away. The top part of the leaf is the heart so I keep that. Then chop up small and set aside.
- The mushrooms will shrink when you saute them but it is still good to slice the mushrooms and then chop also.
- Heat the oil in a skillet to med heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent - about 10 minutes. Remove the onions and set aside.
- In the same skillet add the mushrooms and saute for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. If there is liquid in the pan - throw that away.
- In a large bowl add the onions, mushrooms, artichokes, black olives and salt and pepper.
- Pour over the Italian Dressing and toss well.
- This is the point where you can freeze the filling - if you are preparing way in advance. The filling will also keep very well, for at least 3 days, in the refrigerator.
To continue on ...
- Place the filling in the refrigerator until you are ready to stuff into the prepared pastry shells.
- Take the puff pastry shells out of the freezer and prepare according to the package directions.
- Sometimes, when baking, a couple of the shells tip over a bit. If this happens when you take them out of the oven, right away, push them upright with a fork.
- Let them cool.
To finalize the appetizer:
- Carefully take off the top shell lid.
- On a dinner plate divide the filling into 12 piles. Fill each shell with the filling.
- If it overflows too much at the top then take a little bit more of the shell from the center.
Thank you so much Angie!
I am always ready for a challenge 🙂 it is more fun that way! Thanks Elizabeth!
Thanks so much Aly, That means a lot to me.
These look amazing! And I love how you can save time by making and freezing if needed! I definitely need to give this a try - thanks for sharing! #client
This looks yummy but I have another dressing you might want to try , I buy it at Target just by accident and wow is it a hit its store brand called (Market Pantry) Greek vinaigrette its so yummy! also very well priced
Thanks Renie! I will check it out and the ingredients. I really appreciate it!