Vegan Puff Pastry Appetizer has finely cut sautéd veggies, all tossed with Zesty Italian dressing then spooned in baked puff pastry shells. Score!
This Vegan Puff Pastry Appetizer was a challenge for me because I wanted to come up with something that was completely new and I wanted to use a Vinaigrette dressing.
Italian dressing has been a family favorite for as long as I can remember so I choose this as my star.
What could be better? Mediterranean vegetables combined with a Mediterranean dressing. A style that is copied all along the California coast.
Party Time with Vegan Appetizers
I just love having parties and get-togethers. Especially when the weather is nicer and everyone can move outdoors.
One of my favorite things to make are appetizers. You know how people have stacks of cookie recipes? Well, my stack is of appetizer recipes.
I sat down and started to sketch a few ideas with veggies and when I was ready, along with my complete household list, I headed off for the grocery store.
My cart was full with the freezer section, loaded last, and I was ready to get back home to make a fun and delicious new appetizer.
Vegan Puff Pastry Appetizer and Puff Pastry
You may be wondering where in the world you can get vegan puff pastry.
To make this a quick appetizer I used store-bought instead of homemade.
Guess what? There are quite a few vegan varieties. The easiest to find is Pepperidge Farms. These are the shells as you can see not the sheets. But those are vegan too.
Just read the labels at your grocery store and you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
There are many different types of quick recipes you can make with store-bought puff pastry. I have a five on my blog.
How about dessert or breakfast even? Easy Apple Strudel!
You know how I try to work in being able to freeze part or all of my recipes for ease in entertaining? Well, this Vegan Puff Pastry Appetizer worked out perfectly.
The veggies are all cut very fine, some quickly sautéd and all gets tossed with Italian dressing.
Then you can either enjoy it served in freshly baked puff pastry shells, refrigerate or freeze for up to 3 months. Score!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Vegan Puff Pastry Appetizer
- 2 packages frozen puff pastry shells - 6 in each package
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion - finely chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms - sliced
- 14 ounces artichokes - one 14 ounce can, NOT marinated
- 1 ounce black olives - that's about 5 small black olives
- 1/3 cup Italian dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Having the onion finely chopped is important in this recipe. It just blends better with the other ingredients.
- When I chop artichokes they always seem to have one top layer that is tough. I peel that off and throw it away. The top part of the leaf is the heart so I keep that. Then chop up small and set aside.
- The mushrooms will shrink when you saute them but it is still good to slice the mushrooms and then chop also.
- Heat the oil in a skillet to med heat.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent - about 10 minutes.
- Remove the onions and set aside.
- In the same skillet add the mushrooms and saute for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. If there is liquid in the pan - throw that away.
- In a large bowl add the onions, mushrooms, artichokes, black olives and salt and pepper.
- Pour over the Italian Dressing and toss well.
- This is the point where you can freeze the filling - if you are preparing way in advance.
- The filling will also keep very well, for at least 3 days, in the refrigerator.
- To continue on ...
- Place the filling in the refrigerator until you are ready to stuff into the prepared pastry shells.
- Take the puff pastry shells out of the freezer and prepare according to the package directions.
- Sometimes, when baking, a couple of the shells tip over a bit. If this happens when you take them out of the oven, right away, push them upright with a fork.
- Let them cool.
- To finalized the appetizer:
- Carefully take off the top shell lid.
- On a dinner plate divide the filling into 12 piles. Fill each shell with the filling.
- If it overflows too much at the top then take a little bit more of the shell from the center.
Arrange and set out for the party!