Broccoli Potato Soup has a deep rich flavor and is also easy to make. Packed full of veggies your family will love. Serve a bowlful with plenty of 'back-for-more' power.
It is almost redundant to say healthy and broccoli potato all in the same sentence. It seems obvious but I have seen soups where the word healthy should not be included.
Broccoli Potato Soup is low in fat and has all the rich creaminess of your favorite comfort soup.
We are huge soup eaters during the cold winter months. From red to white - the whole gamut is covered. Potato soups are especially a favorite.
Potato Tomato Soup is a great red one that you might like to try too. Check out a picture of this one!
Soups are often served as a first course but why not make it a complete meal with the addition of some rolls.
Have a fruity dessert waiting in the wings and your family will love you for it.
Simple Tips for a More Healthy Life
1. Leave out the sugar. It is a troublemaker and can cause havoc with your liver and weight - just to mention two factors.
You can indulge once in a while as it is very hard to escape. Especially when someone graciously made you special vegan muffins.
2. Cut down on fats. You can't believe how easy this is with all the alternatives on the store shelves. Dairy-free 'ups your game' by a huge percent.
You will not miss a thing when you have Silk to turn too. Non dairy milks, creamers, and a yogurt alternative are only a few of their great products. The variety will get you excited.
3. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I think that is a given. Besides what is better than an apple, avocado, cauliflower or a salad?
4. Exercise - even gently. Just get up and move during the day. Take advantage of every opportunity.
Use the stairs to go up those one or two flights. Dance around the house.
5. Be sparse with the salt. It commonly causes high blood pressure.
6. Drink more water. You don't have to drink tons of water but more than you are probably drinking now. It flushes toxins and helps you feel full.
7. Get 8 hours of sleep. A major part of your well being is letting your body rejuvenate. From your brain to you muscles. You need sleep.
8. Eat lots of Broccoli Potato Soup 🙂
Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
- ½ cup dairy-free butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups dairy-free milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth/stock
- 7 cups russet potatoes
- 1 ½ cups broccoli - small head - cut into florets
- 4 scallions, chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- leaves fresh tarragon for garnish
- Scrub the potatoes and cut in about 1" chunks.
- In a stock pot cover the potatoes with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 12 minutes. Drain.
- Steam the broccoli for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same stock pot, melt the dairy-free butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until smooth. Watch closely.
- Gradually stir in non-dairy milk and vegetable broth over high heat, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn down the heat to medium. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- If you would like the soup a little thinner then you can add more vegetable broth, ¼ cup at a time.
- Gently stir in potatoes, broccoli, and onion. Add the dried tarragon.
- Heat through over medium so that the vegetables get hot and completely cooked, about another 20 minutes. The potatoes and broccoli should be able to be pierced easily with a fork.
- Add salt and pepper. Serve hot.
- Sprinkle a little fresh tarragon leaves and pepper on top, if you like.
You can't freeze this soup but it will keep in the fridge for 3 days.
To reheat the leftovers -
place in a saucepan and heat through. You can add a little vegetable broth if it has thickened. Don't add it until the soup is hot because the thickness can be deceiving when the soup is cool.