Soup season has arrived! Who doesn't love a good warm bowl of soup on a cold day? And if you're vegan, then this broccoli potato soup is an absolute must-try. Comforting and cozy, full of flavor, and packed with nutrition. This recipe will be sure to please everyone in the family with its deliciousness.
Why You'll Love This Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup Recipe
Delicious Combination- The combination of broccoli and potato in this soup makes it extra creamy and flavorful. The vegan broth adds depth to the flavor and ensures that the ingredients blend together perfectly.
Nutritious- This vegan broccoli soup is full of vitamins and minerals, making this a great meal to include in your vegan diet. The potatoes are a good source of carbohydrates, which makes this soup filling and satisfying. Broccoli has lots of health benefits too! It's full of fiber, Vitamin C, and potassium.
Simple- This vegan soup is super easy to make and doesn't require any fancy ingredients. All you need is potatoes, broccoli, vegan broth, and a few spices! It's also ready in under an hour, so you can make it on a busy weeknight.
Warm and Comforting- There's nothing quite as cozy and comforting as a big bowl of soup on a cold day. This vegan broccoli potato soup is sure to hit the spot!! Serve it with some crusty bread or a side salad for a complete meal.
What Is Broccoli Potato Soup?
Traditional broccoli potato soup is a creamy and comforting soup made with potatoes, broccoli, butter or cream, broth, and spices. It's typically made with chicken broth but can easily be adapted to make a variety of vegan versions.
- Vegetable Brush
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Stock Pot
- Stirring Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
Dairy-Free Butter- Used to sauté the vegetables.
All-Purpose Flour- For thickening the broccoli potato soup.
Dairy-Free Milk- This helps to make the broccoli potato soup creamy and adds a subtle sweetness.
Vegetable Broth or Stock- Adds flavor and depth to the potato soup.
Russett Potatoes- Brings a starchy component to the soup and helps thicken it.
Fresh Broccoli Florets- Adds flavor, texture, and nutrition to the potato soup.
Scallions- Gives this broccoli and potato soup flavor and an irresistible aroma.
Dried Tarragon- Seasons the soup and adds a unique flavor.
Sea Salt- Enhances the other flavors of the broccoli soup.
Ground Black Pepper- Adds flavor.
Fresh Tarragon- For garnish.
How To Make Homemade Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
To begin making vegan broccoli soup, peel and dice the potatoes into small pieces. Cut the broccoli florets into small pieces, removing as much of the stem as possible.
Heat the butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the potatoes, broccoli, and scallions to the pot anduté until the vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Next, add the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes to allow the flour to cook.
Slowly pour in the vegetable broth or stock, stirring continuously until the soup is smooth. Bring the soup to a low boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the soup has thickened.
Finally, stir in the dairy-free milk and season with sea salt and ground black pepper to taste. Serve the soup with some fresh tarragon, and enjoy!
Popular Substitutions And Additions
- Replace the vegan butter with coconut oil for more of a tropical twist.
- Add other vegetables such as carrots, celery, bell peppers, or cauliflower.
- Replace the tarragon with other herbs such as thyme, oregano, garlic powder, or rosemary.
- Add a teaspoon of nutritional yeast for a broccoli cheese soup flavor.
- Use different types types of potatoes such as sweet, Yukon gold potatoes, or red potatoes.
- Replace the vegetable broth with mushroom or miso broth for more depth.
- Use almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or soy milk for dairy-free milk.
- Serve this vegan broccoli potato soup with a big slice of crusty, cheesy toast or some homemade garlicky croutons for an extra special treat.
Can You Freeze This Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup?
Yes. This vegan broccoli potato soup freezes well and can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let the soup cool completely before transferring it to an. Let the soup cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer bag and placing it in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Once thawed, it can be reheated on the stovetop on low heat until the desired temperature is reached. Be sure to stir often so the soup doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
Vegan Broccoli Soup With Potatoes Faqs
Can I use frozen broccoli in this soup recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen broccoli in this vegan broccoli and potato soup.
If using frozen broccoli, there’s no need to sauté the broccoli beforehand. Just add the frozen broccoli directly to the soup and simmer for 10-15 minutes until tender.
How can I thicken my soup if it's too thin?
You can thicken this vegan broccoli potato soup by adding additional flour or cornstarch.
Is potato soup healthy?
Yes, this vegan broccoli and potato soup is a healthy option for lunch or dinner. It's loaded with vegetables and healthy fats from dairy-free butter, as well as protein from vegetable broth.
How long will this soup last in the refrigerator?
This vegan broccoli potato soup will keep for about 3-4 days when stored properly in an airtight container.
Can I make this soup gluten-free?
Yes, this vegan broccoli potato soup can be easily made gluten-free. Just use a certified gluten-free flour or cornstarch in place of the flour called for in the recipe.
Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
- ½ cup dairy-free butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups dairy-free milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth/stock
- 7 cups russet potatoes
- 1 ½ cups broccoli - small head - cut into florets
- 4 scallions, chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- leaves fresh tarragon for garnish
- Scrub the potatoes and cut in about 1" chunks.
- In a stock pot cover the potatoes with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 12 minutes. Drain.
- Steam the broccoli for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same stock pot, melt the dairy-free butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until smooth. Watch closely.
- Gradually stir in non-dairy milk and vegetable broth over high heat, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn down the heat to medium. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- If you would like the soup a little thinner then you can add more vegetable broth, ¼ cup at a time.
- Gently stir in potatoes, broccoli, and onion. Add the dried tarragon.
- Heat through over medium so that the vegetables get hot and completely cooked, about another 20 minutes. The potatoes and broccoli should be able to be pierced easily with a fork.
- Add salt and pepper. Serve hot.
- Sprinkle a little fresh tarragon leaves and pepper on top, if you like.